"Very Difficult Choice" Mod, irc channel: irc.quakenet.org/vdc

Information, How-to's, and discussion about mod'ing Master of Orion II.
Green_Knight

Postby Green_Knight » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:38 am

Thanks for the continued good work on MoO2!

I'm playing a single-player v29 game right now and I'm having a bug with Interceptors. They are not being launched - not from ship and not from bases. Things like bombers and hvy fighters work fine, just not Interceptors.

Is it just my game or is it a real bug?

Overlord2

Postby Overlord2 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:42 pm

Might be. Depends on the exe. The two new .exe haven't been tested much, and some bugs might be still there, so can you update me on the version you used?

PS. Starting from tomorrow I'll be off for 2 weeks, be back to you in that time...

Green_Knight

Postby Green_Knight » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:03 pm

VDCREG.EXE

I'll try another game and see if the error is still there.

Chaosflux

Postby Chaosflux » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:54 pm

My friend and I have been playing with this mod for about a month now and I have to say we both like a lot of the changes it provides. The only thing we have been concerned about is the Guardian on Orion is a little too difficult to beat to utilize Orion for MP games. Its class XXXVI shields preclude most of the weapons in the game from damaging him. By the time you have the tech to beat the guardian, the Orion research bonus has so depreciated that it is difficult to capitalize on before the game ends.

Overlord2

Postby Overlord2 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:14 pm

I'm back...
VDCREG.EXE

I'll try another game and see if the error is still there.
Any results? Btw, I believe VDCREG shouldn't be bugged, can you confirm you observed the same bug repeatedly in this version? My exe worked fine though...
My friend and I have been playing with this mod for about a month now and I have to say we both like a lot of the changes it provides. The only thing we have been concerned about is the Guardian on Orion is a little too difficult to beat to utilize Orion for MP games. Its class XXXVI shields preclude most of the weapons in the game from damaging him. By the time you have the tech to beat the guardian, the Orion research bonus has so depreciated that it is difficult to capitalize on before the game ends..
Umm. I enhanced the guardian with a view to single player for sharper game experience as no one plays multiplayer with Orion present (at least in our community). And previously it was very easy to kill the guardian with ships equipped with emg rockets. You can still use compressors and a lot of gyro destabilizers against it....Anyway, I don't think presense of orion in mp is good idea: it will be still closer to a certain player and thus unfair, though in VDC mod it doesn't give ultimate techs any longer.

nutranurse

Postby nutranurse » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:59 pm

Uh, question-- whenever I try to launch a new game the screen just goes black and the sound stops. I use DOSbox (bought the game off of GoG). I can get to the menu, do game settings and race selection stuff, the game just dies on the black screen when I try to launch it with any of the .exe's you supply.

Overlord2

Postby Overlord2 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:26 am

Probably you made mistakes with setup or didn't configure dosbox properly. Counter question - do you observe the same error, when you launch orion2.exe?

Here are general installation steps:
1. launch installation and install to directory, each folder of which has 8 or less letters. E.g: C:\games\Orion2
2. Copy all the contents of the disc to the new orion folder, overwriting all files.
3. Patch it to 1.31;
4. Patch it to 1.40;
5. Exctract VDC mod into the folder overwriting all files. Btw, if you run Windows XP there is no need for dosbox, it allows to launch the game directly.
6. Configure dosbox: http://masteroforion2.blogspot.com/2006 ... guide.html

callip

Game keeps crashing

Postby callip » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:10 pm

I'm running VDCREG in Windows XP and it keeps crashing; it also causes dosbox to crash with illegal read errors when I try to run it in dosbox. I play SP mode and it seems to happen just before a new tech is researched. I have loaded the saved game in 1.40 and 1.31(orion95) and the game does not crash, so it appears to be VDC mode issue. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

callip

Postby callip » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:16 am

I just upgraded to VDC 30. I'll see if this helps.

Overlord2

Postby Overlord2 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:34 pm

May I ask which exe did crash? Also does it crash from start or in the late game?
Many people have been playing it, but I haven't received reports of crashes so far (except games vs AI on late stages).
Looks like it's something wrong with your installation. Did you follow the recommendations above for installing moo2 in general?

callip

Postby callip » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:47 pm

I'm running VDCREG.exe and it just crashed in turn 3519.4. It is installed correctly.

1. From the disk, I installed to C:\mps\Orion2
2. Copied all the contents of the disc to the orion2 folder, overwriting all files.
3. Patched it to 1.31;
4. Patched it to 1.40b24;
5. Exctracted VDC mod into the orion2 folder overwriting all files.

Astax

Postby Astax » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:38 am

Nice change with the +70% pop growth. One thing thou, aren't we now balanced on 42 points not 41? When I hit clear I have 31 points, and I can pick -11.

Overlord2

Postby Overlord2 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:31 am

4. Patched it to 1.40b24;
Hum, I haven't tested it with b24 yet, but most likely it should be the same as b23.
Could you send me your save? I will check it. The email to send is in readme file of the VDC patch.

Overlord2

Postby Overlord2 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:34 am

Nice change with the +70% pop growth. One thing thou, aren't we now balanced on 42 points not 41? When I hit clear I have 31 points, and I can pick -11.
Right, if you open the .xls description file on 'Picks' sheet, you will see note about max positive picks, which is 41 or 42 depending on the negatives you take.

Astax

Postby Astax » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:08 pm

Is -1 science viable in any shape or form? Cause I was thinking if it was possible to change -1 pick to a +.5. A cheap pick like that might be a good choice for some things. Just a thought, let me know what u guys think.

Return to “Game Modifications”