"Very Difficult Choice" Mod, irc channel: irc.quakenet.org/vdc

Information, How-to's, and discussion about mod'ing Master of Orion II.
Overlord2
Re: "Very Difficult Choice" Mod, irc channel: irc.quakenet.org/vdc

Postby Overlord2 » Sat May 06, 2017 6:44 am

Hi,
Can you upload your config what you have changed? Can't tell whats going on there before checking it myself.

MadViper

Postby MadViper » Tue May 09, 2017 8:22 am

I Altered the "\VDC\REG_MAP.CFG"

Original Values:

# ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- #
# ---------[ MAP GENERATION: VDCREG.exe ]----------------------------------------- #
# ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- #

stars_in_galaxy small = 32;
stars_in_galaxy average = 45;
stars_in_galaxy large = 54;
stars_in_galaxy huge = 71;

Altered Values:

# ---------[ MAP GENERATION: VDCREG.exe ]----------------------------------------- #

stars_in_galaxy small = 16;
stars_in_galaxy average = 20;
stars_in_galaxy large = 20;
stars_in_galaxy huge = 32;

Whenever i lower the Values (as seen above), the Galaxy created will be just partial filled with stars, but all stars will have the same "low" distance from each other.

Rocco

Postby Rocco » Tue May 09, 2017 9:55 am

with current cfg you cannot achieve a nice distribution with such low number stars.
you can try play around a bit with "map_generation **_galaxy_star_spacing" and see how that works.
(lower number for more tighly packed star groups / clusters, and higher number for more evenly distributed)
if you want an even distri using all available space on map, you need to do so manually with the Corion tool.

Alex

Postby Alex » Thu May 11, 2017 8:28 am

Technically with current config you can do anything you want regarding star placement, but you'll need post-processing lua script for that. Distribution includes STARS150.LUA which turns any galaxy to this

Overlord2

Postby Overlord2 » Thu May 11, 2017 9:43 am

This is a step towards making custom mapgenerator. Looks like it is time to learn lua scripting.

Overlord2

Postby Overlord2 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:54 pm

Updated VDC to X4 version, running on 1.50.7.2 version of the patch. The download link is available on the front page.

Overlord2

Postby Overlord2 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:33 am

Updated VDC to X4-V62-B8. The download link is available on the front page.

BrecMadak

Postby BrecMadak » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:35 pm

Congratulations Overlord2 !! All your efforts are appreciated a lot!!!

However, I'd be grateful in the future goals there is a place for improving the AI, if not possible for now.

Overlord2

Postby Overlord2 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:57 pm

Thanks for appreciation, I keep working on improving it. As for AI unfortunately nothing much can be done about it for the moment. All I can suggest is to use latest updates of 1.50 patch to utilize any AI improvements it gets there. However vdc_mode will be unavailable there, which includes many important mp code-rules (the list of vdc legacy code items is available on the front page).
Reloaded VDC for B9 version, fixed one bug which had slipped in before.

Overlord2

Postby Overlord2 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:06 pm

Hi all,
Updated VDC to X4_V62_B12, the d/l link is available on the front page.

clembo

Postby clembo » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:18 pm

Hi Overlord2,

I saw something on the 1.50 mod page within the blog that might be of interest to you on your request to "- improve mapgenration process via custom scripts;". My thought is that maybe more items are interchangeable between 1.50.X (later versions) and VDC on mapgen w/out having to do custom scripting.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=33534&start=90

Catalyst_Kh was able fix some issues in 1.50 by using some of your config lines. Short quote: "Just now i had an idea - i simply copied mapgen lines from vdcgm3.cfg to the beginning of ice-x.cfg (after include lines) and to the end of 150i.cfg (also after include lines)."

Thanks again for all of your efforts!

Overlord2

Postby Overlord2 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:04 am

Hi,
in answer to your question -
maybe more items are interchangeable between 1.50.X (later versions) and VDC on mapgen w/out having to do custom scripting.
The scripts you mean are the 'mapgen' program scripts which were incorporated into 1.50 patch. They are activated via respective switches added to the mod's config file. Catalyst_Kh didnt realize that the mapgen keys are activated that way.
As for custom scripts, I meant something else than that, particularly scripts to improve map balance to avoid restarts. But that requires map assessment algorythm in the first place (map calculator), which I was aiming to implement for long but didn't get to start making.

Parabola

Postby Parabola » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:35 pm

Hi guys,

First of all, thanks for great mod! I'm excited to try out some of the new changes (build queue! keep captured starbases!)

I have been trying to play some moo2 vdc but have been unable to get VDC to run.

Steps that I have taken:

1. Install GOG Moo2 (v1.40);
2. install 1.50.14 fan patch using launcher
3. confirm 1.50.14 works this way, correctly runs and displays 1.50 in game as version.
4. Copy and replace contents of VDC_X4_V62_B12 to Moo2 root directory. (latest version I was able to download, X5 errors when I try to unrar.)
5. Update Orion2.cfg in root dir to use VDC/GM3

6. Dosbox > Launch ORION150.exe errors out with this:

Code: Select all

[11:18:00.000] starting C:\ORION150.EXE, version 1.50.14 loading config ORION2.CFG skipping optional config 150\language\en\en.CFG An error occured, MOO2 1.50.14 will now terminate. failed to load config: in ORION2.CFG line 19: error: unknown token 'clear_button', expected config key: {here}--> clear_button = intact_both; # ship design; CLEAR button does not up
7. Launching ORION2.exe via DB in root dir does not load VDC mod at all, just vanilla 1.40 (not 1.50).

I tried using different version of VDC_X3_V61_B5 and got the same error as above.

Overlord2

Postby Overlord2 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:52 pm

Hi,

Looks like you kept old orion2.cfg from 1.50.7.2 patch. New orion2.cfg wasn't written to the root folder upon installation of v14. You may copy it manually from installation package or re-extract 1.50.14 replacing all files.
The mod which is picked by 1.50.14 is now set in enable.cfg file.

Parabola

Postby Parabola » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:49 pm

Hi again,

After spending hours trying to get the old / broken combiantion of vdc x4_62(?) and 1.50.14 to work together I got nowhere (but your comment did solve one of the errors).

I was finally able to get VDC to work!

Most notably, I had to use latest version (X5_V63_2).
For whatever reason, winrar was throwing error that file is corrupted. so I tried 7zip and was able to extract (and play successfully!)

in case anyone else gets stuck:

1. install moo2 (1.40b23)
2. install patch 1.50.14 + check 1.50.14 launches
3. unpack VDC and move VDC folder into moo2/150/mods/
4. copy paste ENABLE.cfg from VDC into moo2/150 or edit enable in moo2/150 to have correct cfg.
5. usual dosbox cmds to launch ORION150 (or rename ORION150 > ORION2 and launch ORION2):
mount c c:\moo2
c:
orion150

thank you!!

Return to “Game Modifications”