"Very Difficult Choice" Mod, irc channel: irc.quakenet.org/vdc

Information, How-to's, and discussion about mod'ing Master of Orion II.
Overlord2

Postby Overlord2 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:13 pm

They are not buggy, but damage is random. You just need to figure out how many units of weapons is required to destroy certain targets. :|

Semmelbaecker

Postby Semmelbaecker » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:08 am

I thought so at first as well.. maybe its got something to do with the distance? If fighters are on top of a ship, ready to shoot at the end of the turn and you use an area weapon, they are not hit. Is this intentional?

Overlord2

Postby Overlord2 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:37 am

You mean that it doesn't work in auto-mode? If yes, then this is a bug indeed. It was supposed to shoot in auto, but most of the times it doesn't.

Semmelbaecker

Postby Semmelbaecker » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:14 am

It does not depend on being in auto-mode. To test, I cheated a game and gave me all tech to test this out. I used 10 spacial compressors in a battleship and attacked a planet with fighter garrision. The enemy has zortrium armor, so 10 spacial compressors do 400-500 damage, should be enough, so it cant depend on the damage value.

I had the effect, that sometimes the auto-fire option is executed, but none of the fighters is destroyed. The other times, the auto-fire option is executed and all fighters are destroyed. Also, I had the situation, that two different sources send fighters to me, both at a square of my ship or right next to it. I attack with the spacial compressors and only the fighters that I specifically attacked were gone, not the other ones that definitely were within range.

Because this is so unpredictable, I do not count it as a viable option to defend against fighters and missiles. Otherwise it would be a great weapon.

Cheers,
Semmel

Darza

Postby Darza » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:16 pm

Its the best antimissile\fighters weapon you can have. And its also very close to be a best weapon in a whole game. Just they work on missiles other way as on ships, and do miss sometimes. But exellent versatility of them is above the top.

Overlord2

Postby Overlord2 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:29 pm

Compressors vs fighters: there should be an algorythm, which defines success of the weapons based on the quantity of fighters - it either kills the target or not. To tell the truth, I haven't figured out the dependence, all I can say there is one.

Semmelbaecker

Postby Semmelbaecker » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:41 pm

I dont think this mystery can be solved on individual fighter level, because in my tests, either all fighters were gone or none. If it were on individual fighters, it would always destroy parts of the whole lot.

Overlord2

Postby Overlord2 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:07 pm

It does destroy parts sometimes... Well, I will look into this issue later. Will report when I get results.

Overlord2

Postby Overlord2 » Fri May 03, 2013 8:44 am

Re-uploaded VDC45 with 43 pop bug fixed.

Catalyst_Kh

Postby Catalyst_Kh » Fri May 03, 2013 7:32 pm

Antarans seems too weak now. Early attacks by frigates seems fairly balanced, not too strong, not too early, and destroyers are good too. But after that they never attacked with two battleships, only several attacks with single battleship, which is way too easy, and even first battleship came rather late. Would be nice to have two or three battleships after the first one. And titan attack also was quite late too, even for it's big strength. The raiding sequence as it is now would be very good and much more challenging, if Atarans weren't prone to destabilizers or at least were better in selecting targets during tactical combat, if any of those will ever be possible to tweak. :)

EDIT: misprints.

Semmelbaecker

Postby Semmelbaecker » Sat May 04, 2013 5:07 am

Thx for the patch Overlord! :) Cant imagine I would enjoy this game as much without your mod! :) I have the feeling I need to say this once in a while ;-)

Overlord2

Postby Overlord2 » Sat May 04, 2013 4:11 pm

Antarans seems too weak now. Early attacks by frigates seems fairly balanced, not too strong, not too early, and destroyers are good too. But after that they never attacked with two battleships, only several attacks with single battleship, which is way too easy, and even first battleship came rather late. Would be nice to have two or three battleships after the first one. And titan attack also was quite late too, even for it's big strength.
I noticed it before and did say about it couple of pages ago. No one confirmed though. Well, I will look further how they can be improved.

The raiding sequence as it is now would be very good and much more challenging, if Atarans weren't prone to destabilizers or at least were better in selecting targets during tactical combat, if any of those will ever be possible to tweak. :)
AI tactics is weak, unfortunately can't do anything about it for the moment.
Thx for the patch Overlord! :) Cant imagine I would enjoy this game as much without your mod! :) I have the feeling I need to say this once in a while ;-)
You're welcome.

Overlord2

Postby Overlord2 » Tue May 07, 2013 3:53 pm

I wonder if anyone used torpedoes successfully in your pro-like 1-1 games..
Example of massive use of am-torps in 1v1 game: http://speedy.sh/xQqtq/SAVE10.GAM

Semmelbaecker

Postby Semmelbaecker » Wed May 08, 2013 3:59 pm

I must say, I am very impressed by the level of technology both of you have by turn 140ish.. and i definitely never managed to hit 4000+ FP at this point either. Thats really impressive.

However, I am not at all impressed by the damage your ships are able to inflict on each other. I had the feeling, filling everything up with spacial compressors would kill faster. And spacial compressors are not really the killer either. They are good, but compared to plasma beams or maybe even graviton beams would be much more effective. You would not have as storng shields..

Obviusly, you cant judge the usefulness of torpedos by comparing 2 players, both going for them, because both have the same benefits/drawbacks. How about one of them goes beam instead? But you are right in answering my question, It didnt point to a test, it was really a statment about using torpedos in competetive games. Which you did, so.. mission accomplished.

Cheers,
Semmel

Overlord2

Postby Overlord2 » Thu May 09, 2013 1:44 pm

Beams are better if you can get moleculatronic computer together with structural analyzer, however it needs time. Game went so tense both players didn't have time for that. The opponent colonised too close to my systems and I was permanently threating with fork - the reason why he went for interdictors. But in the beginning he had an upper hand and was trying to make a fork on me.

Return to “Game Modifications”