"Very Difficult Choice" Mod, irc channel: irc.quakenet.org/vdc

Information, How-to's, and discussion about mod'ing Master of Orion II.
Overlord2

Postby Overlord2 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:36 am

OK, I will remove it. The update will be ready in several days (expected time on Monday).
AI is still very weak strategically, so it is very good it has dampers + shields. I believe most players would like it this way more because at least some additional challenge. Maybe it would be better to include both versions of exe-files in mode, with this feature turned on and off (on by default), so the players could choose themselves.
I would rather work on improving AI startegically than letting imba weapons exist. Class 26 combined with hard shields, damper field and energy absorber is imba indeed.
Also there is an interesting idea: why not include configurator exe in mode? For example it will have simple text menu or even just /? help output with list of commands. And players would be able to easily switch the following settings in the all 3 VDC exe files:
1) switching sizes of galaxies (which is stretched and how much, all variations easily included, very convenient);
There are few basic map sizes, which should be sufficient for the most goals.
2) having dampers with shields or not;
This is not technically possible. Besides I agree with the above statement that combination of damper and shields is too much, since it kills beams completely. Just imbalanced from the game point of view.
3) having original Antarans, modded extreme Antarans, or modded "calm" Antarans, 3 versions far better, then only one Smile;
There are several game difficulties - normal, hard and impossible. Each got different level for antaran strength. If one thinks impossible is too much he can set an easier level to play.
4) anything else, which ever was the point of arguing and could be changed by simple hex editing of several values.
If at the start configuration exe will directly get the current settings from exe's and show it at the screen - i see this as a very convenient tool to solve many problems and wishes.
Well, in our multiplayer community there is no such requirement to change something before the game everytime. If something is unbalanced it is disputed and respective changes are made. However, I can't suit all custom needs of single player men. Anyone who thinks something is wrong in VDC is welcome to use the OCL_Improved editor and adjust game for his peculiar needs.

Catalyst_Kh

Postby Catalyst_Kh » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:01 pm

It is reasonable point of view, i agree with you. Anyone can (and already do) change galaxy sizes in hex editor as well as changing anything else. But once again, i know a lot of players, who are not capable even to install hex editor, forget about finding how and which numbers to change. :) But they would still like to have a way to do that (to switch some settings). :)

Overlord2

Postby Overlord2 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:39 am

i know a lot of players, who are not capable even to install hex editor, forget about finding how and which numbers to change. But they would still like to have a way to do that (to switch some settings).
There is no need in hex editor since the OCL_Improved editor already includes everything, what could be moded (99% of known offsets). And it is very easy to manage via its convenient graphical user interface (GUI).

Mustard

Postby Mustard » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:38 am

i know a lot of players, who are not capable even to install hex editor, forget about finding how and which numbers to change. But they would still like to have a way to do that (to switch some settings).
There is no need in hex editor since the OCL_Improved editor already includes everything, what could be moded (99% of known offsets). And it is very easy to manage via its convenient graphical user interface (GUI).
Non of the OCLs work on 64bit windows 7 so anyone with a modern pc probably can't run them

Nirran

Postby Nirran » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:26 am

Non of the OCLs work on 64bit windows 7 so anyone with a modern pc probably can't run them
This is not possible,it was coded in win7 64

L2R http://moo2.nirran.com/
Fastest way for evil to triump is for good people to do nothing

Mustard

Postby Mustard » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:50 pm

This is not possible,it was coded in win7 64

L2R http://moo2.nirran.com/
See.. I know it doesn't work on win7 64bit so perhaps learn to code :)

Overlord2

Postby Overlord2 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:24 am

For bugs or errors in OCL_Improved, go to its native thread please. Since it was coded in the win-64 OS it must be working there, unless something is wrong with the installation.

PS. Update is delayed again, but it is almost ready. I believe this weekend I will issue it.
Last edited by Overlord2 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Overlord2

Postby Overlord2 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:28 pm

Finally updated, 43d uploaded. Please check the new antarans and report.

Catalyst_Kh

Postby Catalyst_Kh » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:47 pm

Many thanks to you once again for your wonderful work! It inspires me profoundly every time when i see someone work hard, long, again and again, and never gives up.

Overlord2

Postby Overlord2 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:45 am

hehe, thanks for kind words.

angra

Postby angra » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:17 pm

Played several games with new patch. Looks like antarans are well balanced now.
Leader Brainiac comes with empty perks list, only useful thing he has is tech of recyclotron. Maybe it is feature but looks like a bug.

Overlord2

Postby Overlord2 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:48 pm

Played several games with new patch. Looks like antarans are well balanced now.
Leader Brainiac comes with empty perks list, only useful thing he has is tech of recyclotron. Maybe it is feature but looks like a bug.
yes, I noticed. Going to re-release next weekend fixing some other bugs as well...

Overlord2

Postby Overlord2 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:02 am

VDC 43e uploaded. Includes few changes on antarans and few minor bug fixes.

MrDeath666

Postby MrDeath666 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:32 am

Good job, as always :)

Overlord2

Postby Overlord2 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:32 am

After 43d antarans look a little weak to me. Everyone agree they are fine now? Restoring 43c link just in case.

Return to “Game Modifications”