"Very Difficult Choice" Mod, irc channel: irc.quakenet.org/vdc

Information, How-to's, and discussion about mod'ing Master of Orion II.
Mustard

Postby Mustard » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:37 pm

Put those files directly to the game folder. Possible folder locations:
C:\Program Files\Microprose\Orion2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microprose\Orion2
C:\MPS\ORION2
C:\Games\Master of Orion 2
D:\Games\MOO2
E:\Games\Orion2
I use a gog installation, i've put it in the game folder and it doesn't work, there are also no files over writen when I move the new saves into the folder.. So yeah.. thats lame :( I wanted to see the doomstar :(

Mustard

Postby Mustard » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:41 pm

Irakly, please suggest what are current regulations for using this ship designs in MP games?
When starting new game in VDC those designs are available to build and use from the first turn and they are way overpowered, so some doubts... :)
These are auto designs by AI, they use +50% space of the hull. Well, they are not well enough optimized for multiplayer, though at some instances could be powerful indeed. No one uses autodesigns anyway :)

@Darza - please don't spamm the thread with offtopic, if you have something to say on the mod, please say. Not going to comment on pointless statements.
The biggest thing I noticed was that the AI's auto designs now hit WAY harder from having battle scanners which in the normal game wasn't ... the norm

Catalyst_Kh

Postby Catalyst_Kh » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:59 pm

There are several ways of severe abusing this bugged designs. I believe the most rude would be the following example: Tolerant Warlord Rich +2 prod cyber. The race can start building destroyers (slot 3) right after colony bases, when all planets are housing. Each destroyer has not only extra HV laser and 4 bombs “for free”, but also extra 5 points of research as a gift, so each one of them are like free Research Lab on it's own. Thus, besides overpowered blitzing of ~10 destroyers, there is a lot of research points out of nowhere in addition. It gets Hydroponic, then AFs, then RLabs without single pop ever putted on science. Meeting 4 systems rule would be just a couple more turns, with no pollution, free AFs and recently housed pop.

Catalyst_Kh

Postby Catalyst_Kh » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:07 pm

I use a gog installation, i've put it in the game folder and it doesn't work, there are also no files over writen when I move the new saves into the folder...
So you may guess game's saves are somewhere else. Just make one new save in the game, in slot 8 for example, then make a full search for save8.gam file all over your hard drive, thus you will find the proper folder. :)

Overlord2

Postby Overlord2 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:32 pm

There are several ways of severe abusing this bugged designs. I believe the most rude would be the following example.....
Overpowered at a cost of 229?? This is half cost of a colony ship. For good results in blitz you need autofire laser cannon, which means you need reach tahyon physics...or tritanium armor and shields. During that time the opponent will expand tremendously. But in 8 players setup these builds might be of some help. I still believe custom designs are better. And one more thing, I believe these designs help AI more than human. For MP tests you are free to come and prove it in real games.

Catalyst_Kh

Postby Catalyst_Kh » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:03 pm

For a MP tests you are free come and prov it in real games.
Very want to do so, didn't played for a long time already, but temporarily i am unavailable. I hope to catch up soon. :)

Normal DD still cost about 200, so for only extra ~35 you have +1 RLab out of order, +1 Hv and 4 bombs. Of course technologies you mentioned are needed later on, but you can get them after RLabs, while here you can get basics via building destroyers instead of putting pop to research, that is where the fun is. And 10 low tech DDs still can cripple opponent good enough, before you got better tech. Imagine if you are making DD from scratch with Scout Labs - this will leave low tech DD only with 2 Hvs, but here you get twice more Hvs for so cheap. If opponent will be building planetary defence instead of colony ships then there is no expanding, and in case of expanding you can blockade or bomb everywhere. While any fleet would be met with ~40 Hvs with Warlord bonus. If that is not overpowered i am very eager to try it then, and see how it can be countered. :)

Overlord2

Postby Overlord2 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:17 pm

The thing is that opponent will have the same dds but with autofire laser cannon, i.e. his laser beam will do tripple damage to yours, also will probably have shields and armor...it means he will simply out-tech you if you engage in early building of that costly dds. The "dd as a lab" strategy has been tested already, with the exception that you build minimal cost dds at 130 or 140 BC. Though formidable, it is not overpowered strategy.

Darza

Postby Darza » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:22 pm

If you would play without peace - youll be attacked about t40. with 4 colony rule - slightly later. What is average amount of this overcosted space junk you plan to produce by this time? And with peace-till-tXXX rule its even more useless.

Catalyst_Kh

Postby Catalyst_Kh » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:30 pm

Peace till xxx is out of the question of course. Why at t40?

Darza

Postby Darza » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:32 pm

To make it faster, obviously. Coz its the first real attack window of large average universe.

Catalyst_Kh

Postby Catalyst_Kh » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:36 pm

Some test game needed anyway, i can't calculate that in air. Thank you both for explanation.

Darza

Postby Darza » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:39 pm

Really, just join irc channel, its way faster to solve stuff there. And also such test games would take about 30 mins, faster than if you discuss it in forums anyway.

Mustard

Postby Mustard » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:46 am

I use a gog installation, i've put it in the game folder and it doesn't work, there are also no files over writen when I move the new saves into the folder...
So you may guess game's saves are somewhere else. Just make one new save in the game, in slot 8 for example, then make a full search for save8.gam file all over your hard drive, thus you will find the proper folder. :)
..They were hidden and padlocked in the game folder... and my OS refused to show them me... However viewing the folder using the open file menu on a moo2 savegame editor let me manipulate it...

I'll never understand microsoft...

Overlord2

Postby Overlord2 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:24 am

If you would play without peace - youll be attacked about t40. with 4 colony rule - slightly later. What is average amount of this overcosted space junk you plan to produce by this time?
It is easy to defend from attack of a few dummy dds early on. Darza, you speak about something you haven't tested. Before writing about it do it in real game. Your argument is not accepted.

Edit: I think I misunderstood your statement, you obviously mean here attack of early cruiser vs those overcosted dds. Well, such early cruiser is questionable. I strongly doubt you can attack on 40s with a cruiser - you have to build a lot of outposts too to reach the enemy. Anyway, even so cruiser is not a problem - fighter garrison with support of small ships will stop it.

angra

Postby angra » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:35 pm

New(43b) Antarans are ... weird. In medium pre-warp galaxy first wave starts at 71 turn and last for ~10 turns. Yes, new antaran's fleet EVERY turn and each of them destroys one colony for sure. It was interesting and creepy. In one game I had only one system with 5 planets and 8 of 9 attacks were on this system. Lucky now is a very good bonus for its price. Regretfully I have not seen second wave till full tech and my own attack of Antaran.
I would prefer endless Antarans attacks every 5 turns. And Doom stars in antaran's fleet are ok, please, do not remove them.

Return to “Game Modifications”