"Very Difficult Choice" Mod, irc channel: irc.quakenet.org/vdc

Information, How-to's, and discussion about mod'ing Master of Orion II.
Jos

Postby Jos » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:55 am

Also if you look for gas giants and asteroids why VDCREG doesn't suit you?
Well, VDC doesn't seem to have empties which is a shame for me. I find the regular map generator generates galaxy's which are a bit too crap (too many low-g poors, U-poors, small singles etc) and GM2 galaxy's which are a bit too good. When i used to play the original game with orange or decent rocks (mostly orange) i found it to be just right! :)

But recently Darquan and i have been working on tweaking some other things in the .exe and found it quite easy to hex the orange mod in to it, so maybe you should only consider a new VDC .exe if others also have this issue...
Moo, i say. Moooo!

Overlord2

Postby Overlord2 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:17 am

VDC doesn't seem to have empties which is a shame for me
If you speak of VCDGM2, yes, but in VDCREG there are emptys.
... recently Darquan and i have been working on tweaking some other things in the .exe and found it quite easy to hex the orange mod in to it, so maybe you should only consider a new VDC .exe if others also have this issue...
If I am going to issue a new version, I'd rather issue DR3, cause it will be playable in competitive games, while orange maps can be imbalanced because of singles and emptys. Though I might consider swapping VDCREG for Orange.

Alexfrog

Postby Alexfrog » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:06 pm

Any idea when the next update will occur? I heard rumors that Demo Aqua +1/2 Money Pop+100 LargeRich home race would be nerfed in some way. Demo cost change to 14 instead of 13 perhaps?

Overlord2

Postby Overlord2 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:53 am

The update is delayed, hopefully it won't be delayed too long.
As for the picks, the picks will be changed in the following way:
demo: 14
research: 5/11
cash: 6/11
creative: 16

Who already wants to play with new picks in current version, here it is:
http://rapidshare.com/files/403518647/RACESTUF.LBX

Alexfrog

Postby Alexfrog » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:09 pm

+1 research for only 5 is pretty interesting :)

Green_Knight

Postby Green_Knight » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:31 am

Looking forward to playing a few games - it's summer now and I always play some MOO2 in summer :D

Overlord2

Postby Overlord2 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:09 am

Update will be ready very soon with some revolutionary changes.

Overlord2

Postby Overlord2 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:07 am

Finally the Update is ready. All antaran ships stats revised, so no longer useless ships, also guardian improved.
Added new generators dr3 and orange...complete change list is available in readme file.

EDIT: re-uploaded VDC 28: fixed displacement device position in the tech tree.

red-dog

Postby red-dog » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:17 pm

We all appreciate the incredible work you are doing irakly. But i gotta say, my first impression on seeing the new mod is way too many MAJOR changes at once. I would prefer to see one change per version. And each version should hang around for at least 3 months.

I'm gonna guess that I will be the only one that thinks that way, but that's my two cents.

Overlord2

Postby Overlord2 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:27 pm

The last changes were necessary to balance the game and particularly creative race, i.e. games vs creative race. Like making Warp interdictor not such a deadly choice, making Stellar decent vs Damper field, and also not such a difficult choice as before (also uncreative race couldn't win game if it didn't get any weapons against Barrier shield), moving reflection shield a bit higher, cause it was too powerful on early stages and also making it a difficult choice, then making the last shield a descent option, since previously it couldn't compete with damper field and else....

Overlord2

Postby Overlord2 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:41 pm

Uploaded v28_fixed version: with starbase specials priority list fixed.

Dagoth

Postby Dagoth » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:56 am

Hi to all users in my first post.
After playing VDC I found it quite challenging to win vs AI. The enemies are nicely improved. I just wondered why they built robo-miners, but no auto factories, maybe there's something wrong about that?
Unfortunately it was very easy after I got particle beam, a single ship of mine was able to blow up several enemy battleships on first turn. That beam seems overpowered to me, it leaves no chance standing against it

Overlord2

Postby Overlord2 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:14 pm

Particle beam is countered by the hard shield, unfortunatley AI is very stupid...it doesn't build it on every ship as soon as it sees enemy's got particle beam.
I want to note that VDC was created with a view to multiplayer games, I didn't have objective to improve AI. Btw, if you think particle beam is too powerful vs AI you can skip it and win different way. Also if you want more challenge join IRC and try yourself against humans... :wink:

Dagoth

Postby Dagoth » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:44 pm

I wished to join multiplayer but at the moment my connection is too unstable, it sucks to crash a game out of sudden. Hard shields gonna be for smart players, now I wonder if there's a tactical advantage of researching damper field instead of the strongest class of shields

Overlord2

Postby Overlord2 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:31 am

Depends on situation probably, but I didn't have much opportunity to test class 36 vs damper, since the release was quite recently.
As for the instable connection, it needs to be tested, moo doesn't require high quality connection, you can even play via mobile internet by means of cell phone and it works ok.

Return to “Game Modifications”