Offsets for Guardian in Orion95.exe

Information, How-to's, and discussion about mod'ing Master of Orion II.
Nakor
Offsets for Guardian in Orion95.exe

Postby Nakor » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:31 am

Hi Orions!

Can any give me the offsets for the Guardian in the Orion95.exe?
Like in this thread:
viewtopic.php?t=341

Or: Can you tell me how to find out the correct offsets in the Orion95.exe?

Would be very cool!

Thank you,
Nakor

Matthew

Postby Matthew » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:12 am

You might try something like running something Windbg or IDA Pro on it. i was working on a Orion95.exe mod project but not for a while. IDA seems to give the best results to work with. I think I'm at the point where I want to start designing my own game instead of modding or reversing MOO2.

Nakor

Postby Nakor » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:58 pm

Hi!

Thanks for your reply. I opened the Orion95.exe with IDA Pro, but I couldn't identify anything. I don't know how to find the offsets for the things that are listed in the thread I linked above, e.g. the offsets for the ship type or the weapon slots. Can you explain it to me?

Or are there any other ideas?

Greetings,
Nakor

Matthew

Postby Matthew » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:30 pm

Hi!

Thanks for your reply. I opened the Orion95.exe with IDA Pro, but I couldn't identify anything. I don't know how to find the offsets for the things that are listed in the thread I linked above, e.g. the offsets for the ship type or the weapon slots. Can you explain it to me?

Or are there any other ideas?

Greetings,
Nakor
You'll first have to learn something about how to read the offsets from the disassembly. Ollybdg does a pretty descent job of showing the offsets for each critical point in the program. It is free to download.

http://www.ollydbg.de/

Nakor

Postby Nakor » Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:06 am

Oh man... thanks for your support, but the effort for finding out the offsets seems to be too much for me. I thought it would be easier.

What I found out:
I changed the offsets for the guardian in the Orion2.exe and started a DOS Game with DosBox (performance was not that good). I searched for the Guardian, found him and noticed that he was equipped as I configured. I saved the game and quit. Then I started MOO2 with the Orion95.exe and loaded the game. I sent a scout to the Guardian again... and... he still had the equipment I configured. :-)
Not the perfect solution, but better than nothing.

Another idea:
Do you think, the hex values are the same in the Orion2.exe and the Orion95.exe? If yes, then I could compare the hex data of both files in order to find the passage which is responsible for the guardian (maybe). Do you know a program which provides a comparing-functionality?

Return to “Game Modifications”