Excluding Race Picks

Information, How-to's, and discussion about mod'ing Master of Orion II.
Time
Excluding Race Picks

Postby Time » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:15 pm

In some of the mods, the amount of the race picks were changed to make some more realistic, more usable, or to make some used less.
:?: Has anyone found the switch to not allow a tech if another tech is chosen?
Such as those that are mutually exclusive.
You can't chose -.5 food or cyber, when you also chose Lithovore, for example.
Perhaps, (if known) this might balance certain race picks, some feel make the game unbalanced.

Such as, if Uni and Tol are selected, then Prod +1 and rich HW are excluded.
That would permit those Race picks above with other options, without making them too expensive to use.
For example, the Darloks on Hard, often get Uni, and they are still beatable.
Last edited by Time on Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
MOO1 Fan, MOO2 Fan, MOO3 needed too many changes = hopeless, getting older waiting for a MOO4 (still).

TheDS

Postby TheDS » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:00 am

Are you suggesting these things be MADE exclusive? Because as a Lithivore, you can still grow food, which will gain you a small monetary bonus or be used to feed slaves (captured people) that have better uses building things than growing food.

If that is what you're suggesting, I'm not sure I agree. I can see that some combinations should be worth more or less points than their basic prices suggest, but doing all this is probably a lot to ask, and probably isn't going to be worth more than a stray point or two anyway. Just use the /picks14 switch.
Why do they get to attack me without war being declared, but I can't do the same?

Time

Postby Time » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:00 pm

Hi fellow Floridian,
How was Bike Week?
Time for Spring Break!

But, Right.
If the switch is known, then others can modify the game in this fashion to exclude certain combinations, as well as reduce/increase pick costs.

If you exclude other prod bonuses, for the Uni Tol combination, then, they don't become the uber powerful prod race.

I would also exclude cyber from chosing Low-G or Prod-1.
Not that they would chose these, but, they can't function competitively with them.
That's the prod version of feudal/uncreative.

Or the Demo/ Spy - 10 combo? It could barely work with Telep, but, you would still have many things stolen/sabotaged.

I also think, High-G should be reduced to 4, Cyber to 3, Fan Traders to 3, Tax+0.5 to 4, Tax +1 to 7, Shp Def +50 to 6, Grnd cmbt + 20 to 3, TransD to 4, Lithovore to 9 and Food +2 reduced by 1.
With these increased: Feudal to -6, Uncreative to -5 (or -6), Uni 7.

Most of these, were set to a race pick cost to balance the stock races, and are off-balanced when used against human opponents, so, they rarely get used, or it's just more easy to defeat those foes, depending on the galaxy.

Back to my original statement:
If the switch is known, then others can modify the game in this fashion to exclude certain combinations, as well as reduce/increase pick costs and come up with other possible mods.
MOO1 Fan, MOO2 Fan, MOO3 needed too many changes = hopeless, getting older waiting for a MOO4 (still).

c'g~

Try EXPa

Postby c'g~ » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:45 am

In some of the mods, the amount of the race picks were changed to make some more realistic, more usable, or to make some used less.
:?: Has anyone found the switch to not allow a tech if another tech is chosen?
I didn’t find something like that and don’t know how it can be done. But, IMO with precisely right values of costs of Race pics and specifically constructed Tech Tree U can obtain balance without resorting to mentioned method of yours.
I also think, High-G should be reduced to 4, Cyber to 3, Fan Traders to 3, Tax+0.5 to 4, Tax +1 to 7, Shp Def +50 to 6, Grnd cmbt + 20 to 3, TransD to 4, Lithovore to 9 and Food +2 reduced by 1.
With these increased: Feudal to -6, Uncreative to -5 (or -6), Uni 7.
If U want something like that, try EXPa – I think U would be pleasured with what U will see there. Moreover, U will ascertain my words about balance. Give it a view

Time

Postby Time » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:10 pm

Unfortunately, my last DOS version CD broke, so, I am stuck with a newer windows version CD.

If I remember correctly, all of the upgrades here, require the DOS version. :(

siron

Postby siron » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:46 am

Unfortunately, my last DOS version CD broke, so, I am stuck with a newer windows version CD.
Actually you aren't. Just reread the DOSBox guide.

Return to “Game Modifications”