Modding Tools

Information, How-to's, and discussion about mod'ing Master of Orion II.
Turbo Beholder
Modding Tools

Postby Turbo Beholder » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:10 pm

Question to exe- and data- modders: what tools do you use ?
Ready modification soft like OCLplus or MoO2 Workshop, of course, but what is used for primary research ?
I tried hex/code editors Hiew and Biew and data interpreters StructLook, Structorian and DataWorkshop. Counterparts in either group have their weak and strong sides, but IMO archaic StructLook looks better when we have lots of bit-flags.

I propose to use StructLook format (until something better will replace it) for keeping all discovered data in one text file and keeping it up to date instead of spreading offset lists through entire forum (i searched for word "offset" here, some lists are raw and could be updated even using years-old OCLplus data).
Recently i wrote structure-definition file for executable (Lord Brazen's UPatch 1.40b23) and savegame, initially based on information taken from OCLplus, Corion2 and some savegame-comparing. Right now i update it with discoveries published here on forum and code-viewing those places (e.g. it makes evident where's Guardian's first Special - Auto Repair Unit).
Let's hope that way we can do more.
__

P.S.: to Lord Brazen: BTW, i turned to MoO2 on new level at all because of your UPatch, thanks for great work. Your site was very helpful, as i downloaded bunch of editors there as well (and so has good start for analysis). So actually it's yet another echo of your own work, thanks once more (i like .StL-ing things through). :)
P.P.S.: where i can post it when it's updated ? It's plain text > 50k or ~16k in gzip.
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better."
- Michele Carter

Return to “Game Modifications”