Searching for a MOD to ged rid of Titans and Doomstars

Information, How-to's, and discussion about mod'ing Master of Orion II.
rashktah
Searching for a MOD to ged rid of Titans and Doomstars

Postby rashktah » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:42 am

Hi!

I'm searching for a MOD to ged rid of Titans and Doomstars.

In detail, I am searching for a modification to not be able to research the Titan and Doomstar construction in Moo2, as I really dislike these huge ships.

Second, is there a MOD to reduce the size of a fleet, so no player is able to attack with more then, say, 10+ ships at any given time?

Is there a MOD where I can choose what technologies will be researchable in the game?

Thanks for any help you can get me!

siron

Postby siron » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:47 am

Welcome rashktah.

Hehe...you are spamming all forums (Civ, Gamestar...).

So here once again: There isn't such a mod. Titan and Doomstar can be easily removed by OCL (see LordBrazen's download section).

The other things are not that easy to realize.

Buddenbrook

Postby Buddenbrook » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:24 pm

It's pretty easy (and not very time consuming) to remove the techs you don't like with meltpot and/or ocl. 65535 is the code for removing the tech from the game with ocl, see phase shifter.

But be careful that you will have at least one tech in every tech field, otherwise the game will crash. If you e.g. remove all the androids (as I would suggest) you need to move some other tech into that field.

You can download meltpot and ocl from Lord Brazen's page (see the upper left corner on your screen). The instructions are simple, and they are easy to use.

I too would like to limit fleet size but that's something I haven't figured out yet.

rashktah

Postby rashktah » Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:37 am

It's pretty easy (and not very time consuming) to remove the techs you don't like with meltpot and/or ocl. 65535 is the code for removing the tech from the game with ocl, see phase shifter.
Pretty easy, eh? Wow, I don't even get this OCL program to run properly.

I had hoped for a menu-driven interface, but OCL seems to be DOS-bound.

I seem to be too dumb to get this program to do what I want it to do - to ged rid of Titans and Doomstars for me.

A little help, please? :oops:

Buddenbrook

Postby Buddenbrook » Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:13 am

Firstly what version are you using?

If it's 1.40 then you need to download oclplus, if it's 1.31 then ocl_v021

First you need to extract the data from your .exe file. Place the ocl into your orion2 directory and run 'ocl_v021 -e data.txt' from your command prompt, this will extract the data into a text file. Now go to the notepad to edit the file.

See the header [TECHNOLOGIES] it's next after [TECHFIELDS]. Doom Star Construction is tech #55 in the list, and Titan Construction is #186. Now do the following to both of them: remove one space (not sure if necessary) and TFxx from their lines (which points to the techfield they are placed in) and replace it with 65535. Save the file.

Go back to command prompt and run: 'ocl_v021 -d data.txt' if you play the dos version, or if you play the WIN95 version then without the -d just 'ocl_v021 data.txt'

Now your games will be without Titans and Doom Stars.

rashktah

Postby rashktah » Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:29 am

Wow, thanks for your great explanation, Buddenbrook!

I succeded in extracting the .txt file, but I'm stuck again now as I don't get what to edit in the lines you've given me. Which space do I have to delete, where should I remove TFxx and where should I insert the number?

If you (or anyone else with the given knowloede) could please edit my picture to show me what I have to do, you would be greatly helping my crusade to rid my games from the dreaded spaceship classes.

Many thanks!

Buddenbrook

Postby Buddenbrook » Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:39 am

OK, so you are using oclplus. Lord Brazen seems to have removed the 'TF' but it makes no difference. It's the '58' for Doom Star, and 19 for Titan construction. Remove the current number (and three spaces) and replace it with 65535, just tested it and works just like with 1.31.

rashktah

Postby rashktah » Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:18 am

Thank you very much, I will try this asap.

Will this also remove Titans and Doomstars from a running game or just with a newly started one?

Buddenbrook

Postby Buddenbrook » Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:35 am

It seems to depend on how far you have got in the game. If Titans and Doomstars have not yet been researched by anyone, then it seems to affect saved games too. But if someone already has the tech, there's no other way than to start a new game.

rashktah

Postby rashktah » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:56 am

I will have to start a new game then.

This is how I changed the numbers in data.txt, then recompiled the file with oclplus. I hope I did everything acording to plan... ^.^

rashktah

Postby rashktah » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:57 am

Sorry for doubleposting, but I need a quick reply to my question from above ... did I edit all the numbers as I was intended to or is there something else to do or wrong with my editing?

Buddenbrook

Postby Buddenbrook » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:20 pm

When you have made your changes, run 'oclplus data.txt' from your command prompt, then everything should be ok for your next game.

rashktah

Postby rashktah » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:23 pm

So all my editings are correct? Great! :)

I did not want to start off a new game without being informed if everything's right for I would be deliberately pi**ed if the dreaded Titans would appear again. ;)

Thank you very much for your help!

Return to “Game Modifications”