Patch for Windows 95 version of MOO2

Information, How-to's, and discussion about mod'ing Master of Orion II.
Matthew
Patch for Windows 95 version of MOO2

Postby Matthew » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:02 am

I'm considering writting a patch for the windows 95 version.

Here are some ideas for the patch.

First, fix the networking code. It should be worth it to upgrade to Directplay8. The earlier versions of Directplay were pretty bad in terms of overhead. That may be the main cause of all the lag with the windows 95 version. I might also change the protocol to TCP/IP for multiplayer. It could also involve optimizing the messaging system for better overall multiplayer performance.

Fix as many of the known bugs as possible.

Add new menu options for universe generation. Add options like no wormholes, no black holes, no splinter, etc. The same options that LB has added to the DOS version to maintain multiplayer consistency.

Add a map balance option. This would use the mirroring technique that I discussed in another thread. It basically means identical starting corners.

Add race balance and technology changes. Add options similar to the DemoDict mod to make playing with democracy and dictatorship more competitive.

Make all the leaders worth having by making minor adjustments to their skills and stats.

Add AI Improvements. Change the AI race picks and make it so they design better ships. Try to improve their tactical combat performance.

siron

Postby siron » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:20 pm

Currently, I think that this windows 95 project is hardly worth its efforts. When LB is very motivated to contribute I might change my mind....

...but I wont expect significant improvements compared to DOSbox' network stability. With decent conn even 8way should be playable now, it was just never tested with DOSBox AFAIK (but who is enuff time for such a game anyway). Especially DOSBox is one tool which makes the version compatible between all important platforms. (I expect trouble for the win version there.)

The mirror map and AI improvement are separate issues which can also be added in the DOS version.

Matthew

Postby Matthew » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:06 pm

There's no reason why changes couldn't be applied to both versions.

The windows version does have some advantages. Win32 apps are inherently better at threading than DOS programs. Switching between screens is smoother and the music doesn't skip a beat.

The main reason for not using orion95.exe is the lag and bugs. If I can eliminate the lag, fix the bugs and improve game play it may become the prefered version to play. I think Directplay8 will make a big difference.

It will be difficult for me. I'm not hacker in the traditional sense. I know a bit of assembly, C/C++ and how to use a debugger. I have never cracked a program or written a patch for a binary executable before.

siron

Postby siron » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:00 am

There's no reason why changes couldn't be applied to both versions.
But there could be reasons why changes shouldn't be applied to both versions. Looks like hard work to me, outcome unknown, time is expensive, there could be more useful projects which should consume your free time. When you dont think these doubts apply, you should just start.

Matthew

Postby Matthew » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:02 pm

I've started working on a slightly more humble project. Hopefully, it will be able to open a save game file, preserve starting game data (players, race picks, home worlds, etc), generate a new (balanced) map and overwrite the original save. If all goes well, each balanced map should be unique.

I'm going to use Visual C++ to develop it. It will be a command line console program similar to the OCL modding tool. I hope to eventually make it a optional mod for the game's exe so that it automatically does the balanced map generation without having to exit the game.

Return to “Game Modifications”