Super Races

Information, How-to's, and discussion about mod'ing Master of Orion II.
xlledx
Super Races

Postby xlledx » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:09 pm

Hello, the only thing that ever really bothered me about MOO2 are the weak default races. Theyre just terrible. So using the Melting Pot mod I made up some Super Races!

Here are the two races Ive playtested on Hard, Huge, vs 8 other super races:

Klackon- Uni, +100 Pop, +2 Id, Subterranean, Large Rich Homeworld, Repulsive, -.5 Tax, -20 Def, -20 Att, -10 Ground, -10 Spying.

Alkari- +50 Def, Dem, Transdimensional, Warlord and -10 Ground, -10 Spying.

The first thing youll notice is that these races dont average out on points. I mean, its not even close. But its not suposed to. Each race tends to get an amount of points inversed by the strength of their expertise. In otherwords, a Production race (ie very strong) gets far less points than a ground combat race.

Another trick I used, I gave each race a biase towards having -10 Ground and -10 Spying.

Ill post more races as I playtest them, and incase youre wondering...the Alkari actually lost me my first game! Well, it wasnt really their fault it was those dastardly Darloks! All I have to say on them is that my new Darloks are devasting, and Ill be playtesting them next.

xlledx

Postby xlledx » Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:15 am

in a form of poetic justice my Darloks didnt fair so well...they got rushed by the Alkari and Mrrshan before I could get my spy factories up. Oh well.

I next played as my Super Sakkras:

+100% Pop
Subterranean
Tolerant (!)
-10 Def
-10 Att
-10 Spying
-10 Ground

This race is really a perfect example of what I mean by taking each race's theme and taking it to the extreme.

I was lucky in the early game as that i was in a corner and no one wanted to fight, so Im not sure how powerful they are yet. Im pretty sure theyre solid, cuz they can always buy a defense really quick with all the taxes they collect.

In case your wondering the game ended with a Orion Senate meeting:

Sakkra and Silicoids have been nominated.

Humans...1 votes for Silicoids
Darloks....1 vote for Silicoids
Gnolams...3 Votes for silicoids
Klackons...2 votes for Silicoids
Silicoids vote for self (9)
Sakkra vote for self (83)

Now thats how you rig an election!

xlledx

trouble with tribblets

Postby xlledx » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:03 pm

So far Ive successfully resisted the urge to play another game, but have been allowing myself the pleasure of modding some more.

For whatever reason, Melting Pot has deleted all the default ship names and home worlds for all the races. Not to big a problem, Im having fun making up new names for all the ships. Except when I was Sakkra I rushd into production an empire saving Battleship entitled "The Thunder Lizard". Upon christening my last best hope turned out to be a...Colony Ship? I reloaded, and shortend the name to jsut "Thunder Lizard", but alass...no luck. I then reloaded the game and renamed my savoir to "Sal". But nope...another colony ship!

I fixed the problem of course, (just shortend the name in melting pot) but it did bring up an interesting question. If the "The Thunder Lizard" was a frigate would it have still turned into a Colony Ship? Does this bug open the possiblities for moders to make "Colonizing Unit" a special like in MOO and MOO3? Im not sure but it may be worth looking into.

xlledx

Postby xlledx » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:18 pm

I gave my new Meklars a try, and let me tell you they are by far the most efficient race I have ever played as:

Unification
+2 Production
Cybernetic
+20 Attack

-.5 Farming
-10 Ground
-10 Spying

It was a weird game because I was able to have a competive empire with only 9 (later 8) colonies in only 5 (later 4) systems. I was up against the two senate nominees, Sakkra and Klackon, and thanks to the Darloks the Trillians and their Human allies declared way on me too.

At a crucial moment I realized that I needed to build my Finisher Fleet early than I ever had before. I was way behind in tech, but I knew I didnt have time to bridge that gap, so I researched up to Plasma Gun as quickly as I could and let'er rip.

6 Battleships

4 Heavy Mounted Plasma Guns
7 Phasors PDs

Battlepods
Battlescanner
Rangemaster Unit
Reinforced Hull

Electronic Computer
Zortrium Armor
Class I Shield

And absoluty no prisoners.

All in all theyre not the most dangrous opponent, but theyre a blast and a half to play.

JosEPh

Postby JosEPh » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:16 pm

Sounds interesting. :)

I need to read up on Modding MoO2, but MoO3 Modding still takes most of my time.

JosEPh :wink:

xlledx

Postby xlledx » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:24 pm

I tried getting into Moo3, but the automated feel really turnd me off. I read the manual, tried a few games, and read all player written material I could find, but alass I couldnt come to terms with it.

As for Moo2, what I do is extremely easy, and is nothing compared to the real modders on this forum...but heres my latest report.

So far Ive played 2 production races, and 2 populous races, so I figured Id go for a tech race next.

Here are my Psilons

Democracy
Creative
+2 Research
Alien Artifacts Home World

-.5 BC
-10 Ground Combat
-10 Spying
-20 Att
-20 Def

I just realized that I dont ever explain my changes, so here you go.

The Psilons were originally engineered by an ancient civilization whom the Psilons idolize as gods. They seek to ascend to an almost spiritual level of technological bliss, and everything else is just a means. They have neglected their physique to the point that they are indept at all forms of combat. They lack any ambition for financial success, and view money as a necassary evil to deal with "less enlightened" peoples. The only reason that they have adopted a democratic style of government is that the personal rights it allows promotes the free exchange of ideas without fear of persecution. They are completely single-minded in their quest for knowledge.

So anyway, the game itself went about as I predicted. You kinda have to grit your teeth as other races steal all your early tech, and hope that you can get some ships up in the air before your enemies decide to blast you. I actually found myself holding back in the tech department just so I could get the essentials built, ie buildings, colonies, and defenses, without worrying about building spies to protect my tech. It worked pretty well, but it let me tell you, playing -.5 BC production race is kinda annoying...playing a -.5 BC tech race is downright absurd.

Matthew

Postby Matthew » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:23 am

Democracy and -10 Spying is a bad combination. This effectively means you give away your technology for free.

JosEPh

Postby JosEPh » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:27 pm

Yeah a Democracy means that you need to learn how to trade techs effectively. Cause someone will steal it if you try to keep it away from the others.

-10 spying also means you need 2 to 3 times the number of spies as any other type gov't race.

JosEPh :wink:

Time

Postby Time » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:13 pm

"The Psilons were originally engineered by an ancient civilization whom the Psilons idolize as gods. They seek to ascend to an almost spiritual level of technological bliss"

Yes, I would remove the -10 spying, an add Telepathic, for these strong minded nearly ascended beings found a way around their lesser democratic races.
Since you are allowing combinations above the 20 pick max.

Also, Try a combination of Meklar with Tolerant, or Telepathic (Instant Assimilation) [Uni, Tol, Prod +2, Cyber, Telep.] = Scary (You Will be assimilated)

I didn't see your post on the other races? Human, Mrrssan or Darlok for example?
Darlok, was this a Telepathic, +20 spy race?
I have played that type -- devastating.
MOO1 Fan, MOO2 Fan, MOO3 needed too many changes = hopeless, getting older waiting for a MOO4 (still).

Abbadon

Postby Abbadon » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:17 pm

What do you think about this:

+ subterrain
+ telepatic
+ kybernetic
+ warlords

- gravitation (-5)
- spionage (-3)
- ground battle (-2)

Time

Postby Time » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:46 pm

No, that won't be a good one.

When Cybernetic is chosen, you Have to give them alot of prod bonuses to make up for the fact they will comsume part of your prod as food.
Thus, Never create a cyber race with Low-G.

A Cyber like:
Unification
Prod+2
Rich HW
Atk+20

std minuses.
works well in an advanced game, where all players start with a few large planets with decent pop and rich worlds.
Also, one can skip some early comp research, as Atk+20 will compensate to some degree.

If not advanced, try:
Unification
Aquatic
Prod+1 (Prod +2, if allowing over 20 picks)
Rich HW
Cyber

Its Very few farmers make it not so important to research Soils quickly.
On smaller maps, they can perform a good rush vs. comps.
MOO1 Fan, MOO2 Fan, MOO3 needed too many changes = hopeless, getting older waiting for a MOO4 (still).

c'g~

Postby c'g~ » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:04 pm

Recently I managed to create a Mod, which includes changes of pre-constructed Races (Computer races in Single Player). They will rip U apart on Impossible. Even on Normal level of difficulty they can bother U.

EXPa Mod can be found here: viewtopic.php?t=559

Just try it, and U will see what computer can do!

Return to “Game Modifications”