Altering stock races

Information, How-to's, and discussion about mod'ing Master of Orion II.
The Dragon
Altering stock races

Postby The Dragon » Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:07 pm

I've browsed around the web and these forums a bit and I've found a lot of interesting info, but as of yet I haven't found out of it's possible to alter the stock races (default ones in game).

I know you can tweak you're own race, but I'm looking to change the stock races.

I also play Twilight Imperium and my friends and I that also play that would like to try a MOO2 version of that. So I want to create alternate stats/names for the stock races after the Twilight races.

Is this possible?

Grig de Griz

Postby Grig de Griz » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:35 am

Yes, this is possible. You can replace races default set of abilities, cost abilities, races pictures and names. But you can not add new races abilities.

The Dragon

Postby The Dragon » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:50 am

what editor program would you suggest? Most I've seen are for you're own race not the AI's races.

As to abilities I'm going to be using the games versions to aproximate the Twilight Imperium races. Some will need little or no changing (humans) but others (The Emirates of Hacan, an uber trading race) will need extensive alterations.
Found a brief list of the TI3 races:
The Barony of Letnev
a) Before any Space Battle or Invasion Combat Round, you may spend 2 Trade Goods to give all your ships +1, or all of your Ground Forces +2 on their combat rolls for that combat round.
b) Your Fleets may always contain one more Ship than your number of Command Counters in your Fleet Supply.
Leaders: 1 Diplomat, 1 Admiral, 1 General
Trade Agreements: 1, 1

The Federation of Sol
a) As an action, you may spend 1 Command Counter from your Strategy Allocation Box to place two free Ground Forces on any one planet that you control.
b) During the status phase, you receive one extra Command Counter.
Leaders: 1 Admiral, 1 Diplomat, 1 Agent
Trade Agreements: 2, 2

Universities of Jol-Nar
a) You receive -1 on your combat rolls during all Space Battles and Invasion Combat.
b) When executing the Secondary Ability of the Technology Strategy, you may execute both its Primary Ability and the Secondary Ability.
c) You may spend a Command Counter from your Strategy Allocation to immediately re-roll any of your die rolls.
Leaders: 2 Scientists, 1 Admiral
Trade Agreements: 3, 1

The XXCHA Kingdoms
a) When executing the 2nd ability of the Diplomacy Strategy, you execute the Primary Ability instead.
b) Immediately after a Political Card has been drawn and read aloud, you may spend one Command Counter from your Strategy Allocation to cancel the card and force another Political Card to be drawn.
c) Your opponents receive -1 on all combat rolls against you during the 1st combat round of Space Battles & Invasion Combat.
Leaders: 2 Diplomats, 1 Admiral
Trade Agreements: 2, 2

Yssaril Tribes
a) You are allowed to skip your action turn during the Action Phase You may not skip two such action turns in a row.
b) You draw on additional Action Card during every Status Phase. You are never limited to a hand-size of Action Cards, regardless of the game rules and any active political cards.
c) Once during every Strategy Phase, you may look at one other players' hand of Action Cards.
Leaders: 1 Admiral, 2 Agents
Trade Agreements: 2, 1

The Naalu Collective
a) The initiative number on your Strategy Card is always “0” (replacing the normal initiative number of the Strategy Card). This means that you are always first in the order of play.
b) If attacked, a Naalu fleet may retreat before the beginning of the Space Battle step of the Tactical Action sequence (following the normal retreat rules and restrictions).
c) All Naalu Fighters receive +1 on combat rolls during Space Battles.
Leaders: 1 Diplomat, 1 Admiral, 1 Agent

The Emirates of Hacan
a) Your trades do not require approval during Trade Negociations.
b) You do not need to spend a Command Counter to execute the secondary ability of the Trade Strategy. When you receive Trade Goods from one of your Trade Agreements, you receive one additional Trade Good.
c) No player may ever, except for war, break a Trade Contract with you.
d) During the Status Phase, you may trade Action Cards with other players.
Leaders: 1 General, 1 Diplomat, 1 Scientist
Trade Agreements: 3, 3

The L1Z1X Mindnet
a) The base cost of your Dreadnought units starts at 4.
b) Your Dreadnought units receive +1 during Space Battles, and your Ground Force units receive +1 when attacking during Invasion Combat.
c) You start with one extra Command Counter in your Strategic Allocation area.
Leaders: 1 Diplomat, 1 Scientist, 1 Agent

The Mentak Coalition
a) You start the game with one additional Command Counter in your Fleet Supply area.
b) Before a Space Battle begins (in which you are participating), you may fire with up to two Cruisers or Destroyers (or a mix thereof). Enemy casualties are taken immediately, with no return fire allowed.
c) During Strategy Phase, you may take one Trade Good token from up to two different players. Each such target player must have at least 3 Trade Goods on his race sheet.
Leaders: 1 Agent, 1 Admiral, 1 Diplomat

Sardakk N'orr
You receive +1 to all your Combat Rolls during Space Battles and Invasion Combat rounds.
Leaders: 2 Generals, 1 Admiral

Grig de Griz

Postby Grig de Griz » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:38 am

You can use my package "MoO2 Workshop" or any hex-editor (it is enough for not picture data).

To you can be demand files :

Racestuf.lbx (6 – cost abilities, 7 – default races abilities);
Estrings.lbx (0-file) – Races Names;
Help.lbx.(0-file) - Races Description;
Racename.lbx(0-file) - Races Leader Names;
Raceicon.lbx (all file) - Colonists pictograms;
Diplomat.lbx (13-38 files) - Diplomatic pictures;
Council.lbx (all file) - Diplomatic pictures;
Racesel.lbx (all file) – Select race screen (button and pictures).

Note: After editing the "Estrings.lbx" file you should write its new size Estrings.lbx.0 file in the "ORION.EXE" at offset 0x001535C8.

Note: At a "impossible" level, race generated as custom (ignored default set).

P.S. You can not change effect of default races abilities.

The Dragon

Postby The Dragon » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:29 pm

You can use my package "MoO2 Workshop" or any hex-editor (it is enough for not picture data).

To you can be demand files :

Racestuf.lbx (6 – cost abilities, 7 – default races abilities);
P.S. You can not change effect of default races abilities.
So does this mean that it is or is not possible to alter race abilities? The first line implys that I could but then you're p.s. makes me think I can't.

marhawkman

Postby marhawkman » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:43 pm

You can change which abilities races have, but not what abilities are in the game.

Return to “Game Modifications”