OCL GUI

Information, How-to's, and discussion about mod'ing Master of Orion II.
Dregnought
OCL GUI

Postby Dregnought » Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:39 pm

I'm planning to make a GUI for OCL. Not only for extracting and translation, but the text file itself. Naturally I'll release it, assuming I'm allowed (I'm not sure who made it so I don't know who I can ask to find out if they can put the GUI with the program. Now, the GUI won't only invoke OCL, but also allow you to edit the resulting text file. I'm assume it would also work for OCLPlus, but someone else would have to test (I don't have a dos copy of the game. Is it only orion2.exe that's added? If so, can someone please email me that, ace.dregnought@gmail.com. If no one knows, i'll give it a shot anyway.)

If there is anything anyone can suggest, please say it.

edit: I just had an idea. For the GUI, have it basically made as how MoO2's menu system works. Of course, this will suffer at productivity somewhat. But it will look much nicer. Just wondering what everyone thinks of it.

High Priority
  • Get an alpha build out and ready.
Low Priority
  • GUI resembles MoO2's menus

siron

Postby siron » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:12 pm

There are only small differences between DOS and WIN moo. The win version requires dll files. DOS requires orion2.exe (see the last official 1.31 patch, it contains this exe) and rkernel.com. (see the dosbox guide, it is offered there.)

Dregnought

Postby Dregnought » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:05 pm

I got mine from a PCPP CD, already patched to 1.31 without the dos stuff - but I'll download the patch and see if it will let me re-patch it or something.

Seems like no one's interested in a GUI. Oh well.

Turbo Beholder

Postby Turbo Beholder » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:02 pm

I'm planning to make a GUI for OCL. Not only for extracting and translation, but the text file itself.
That is, program which shows and allows to edit data at known offsets (directly or via OCL) in human-readable formats ?
I'm sorry, but... what for ? Structure-interpreters do the same for arbitrary file in accordance with structure-definition script which you can edit at will, without recompilation or even restart, i.e. more or less on the fly (DataWorkshop have limited copy-paste capability and StructLook editor is just too weak, but definition can be edited externally and easily reloaded). Just check 3 free i checked...
If you want to write new universal structure-interpreter which will clearly beat either DataWorkshop, StL or Structorian, and without using .NET or something like, it's quite another matter, and i'll applaud first... but it's much more complex.
If there is anything anyone can suggest, please say it.
I hope it's not too late to save some hours of your time from essentially dead-end work (as to pure training, both skills are valuable)...
For the GUI, have it basically made as how MoO2's menu system works. Of course, this will suffer at productivity somewhat. But it will look much nicer. Just wondering what everyone thinks of it.
[...]
GUI resembles MoO2's menus
Then best way is to create yet another "Look&Feel" for DataWorkshop (it's Java-based and already has 4 styles). Nice and MoO2-like green-darkorange-black (then it going to be best of color sets). In fact, if you'll merely make all those listboxes and bit fields much less space-wasteful (but still usable), it will be enough minimum to use DW the way we want. ;) Really good design will bring praise... not only my thanks, but from lots of DataWorkshop users as well.
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better."
- Michele Carter

Return to “Game Modifications”