Terraforming toxic planets?

Information, How-to's, and discussion about mod'ing Master of Orion II.
Zieman
Terraforming toxic planets?

Postby Zieman » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:24 pm

Any ideas how to make toxic planets terraformable?
No skill, no knowledge - but lots of LUCK!!!

PK

Postby PK » Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:33 am

give them to your enemy, use weapon to terminate planet, build artificial planet, colonize it and terraform :)
PK

Zieman

Postby Zieman » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:37 pm

Hehe,
could do that, but I want to mod the .exe or .lbx so that you can terraform toxic planets too. It's kinda stupid that you can make a habitable planets out of asteroids and gas giants, but you can't make Venus -like planets more hospitable...

PK

Postby PK » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:25 am

asteroids arent not toxic ... its just a spread matter. gas giant - well ... shouldnt be toxic to all species .. so they arent in fact pure toxic ... while in my imagination toxic material on toxic planet is so toxic that nothing can be done to make it safe :)
PK

Time

Postby Time » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:17 pm

give them to your enemy, use weapon to terminate planet, build artificial planet, colonize it and terraform :)
This is the only in game way to be able to terraform a toxic world.

In the game, it's good to have something you can't change. If you want to be able to use these worlds, I would suggest a Uni+Tol race to make best use of them.
also, Biomorphic fungi work on these worlds, so, you can grow food there, at some point.

of course, you could encounter the strange glitch I did. Where on a natives planet I controlled, I just purchased Soil Enrichment, when I was attacked by an Amoeba. I lost 1 native, kept the other 2 as farmers (can't move natives) and retained the Soil Enrichment bonus! This was my strangest planet ever. A toxic world with farmers!
almost no need to terraform there, lol.
MOO1 Fan, MOO2 Fan, MOO3 needed too many changes = hopeless, getting older waiting for a MOO4 (still).

Zieman

Postby Zieman » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:34 am

In this I'm a bit conservative: in MOO Radiated was most difficult to colonise and Toxic was easier, so I'd like the same situation to be true in MOO2 too. :)

Maybe there's a bit in the .exe or one of the .lbx's that tells the game if that planet can be terraformed or not? Or a bit that tells the game how many terraform efforts (+gaia) there are left to do. Changing that so that you could terraform Toxics too should be easy, provided such bit exists and you can find it... ;)

marhawkman

Postby marhawkman » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:33 pm

I concur. *points to radiated* One thing I've been trying to figure out is if you could give certain techs a property that converts toxic to barren.

Matthew

Postby Matthew » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:47 pm

One cool way would be if you could use matter to energy then energy matter conversion to convert the toxic materials to non-toxic. Then you could convert toxic worlds into barren worlds or other types.

Another way would be to use a stellar converter to blow the planet apart then use planetary construction to rebuild it from the debris.

Either way, it would be an expensive tech.

The problem is that the way the game is setup is that it's difficult to add-in new techs. It wasn't designed with modding in mind.

marhawkman

Postby marhawkman » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:06 pm

My idea was to figure out the coding behind what radiation shields do, and add that sort of effect to anti-pollution techs.

TheDS

Postby TheDS » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:25 am

What I want to know is: Why do I have to build pollution processing stuff on a TOXIC world? What's going to happen, am I going to damage the environment? (Same could be said for Radiated and Barren; we're living in domes here, all our smoke stacks lead to the outside.)
Why do they get to attack me without war being declared, but I can't do the same?

c'g~

Postby c'g~ » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:31 am

What I want to know is: Why do I have to build pollution processing stuff on a TOXIC world? What's going to happen, am I going to damage the environment? (Same could be said for Radiated and Barren; we're living in domes here, all our smoke stacks lead to the outside.)
Haha!
U are funny guy. But I think it’s off-topic – go to general discussion – there U can find answers on Ur very substantial question
Last edited by c'g~ on Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Time

Postby Time » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:37 am

Choose Lith/Tol and you won't need to terraform :D .
Also, Uni/Tol/Cyber with Hyd farms + Subt farms, also doesn't need to terraform it.
Tol/High-G/Cyber, though a slow builder, would eliminate most of the planet penalties.

Bring in a captured colonist, from a Subteranean race, for more pop max.
MOO1 Fan, MOO2 Fan, MOO3 needed too many changes = hopeless, getting older waiting for a MOO4 (still).

c'g~

Postby c'g~ » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:54 am

IMO the Game developers were right with un-terraforming Toxic Planets. I think always should be a constant, which players can not change – it’s simply solidifying the Core of the Game. Besides, I agree with Time – Lithovore, Tolerant picks will lose some of their power with terraformble Toxic Planets

TheDS

Postby TheDS » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:15 am

Another thought:

If your game has progressed far enough that you can gift a system to someone else and then blow up that planet, then you're doing something wrong. My games hardly ever last long enough to get the planet smasher, and even when I've got it, it's usually at the point where I'm already building so many planets that I'm sick of it and just want to finish the game.

One other:

Recently I tried the switch that allows androids at the start of the game. HOLY CRAP THEY'RE AWESOME!!!! Mt early game populations are half android. They're very good for tiny worlds, toxic worlds, and ultrarich worlds. Used to think they were worthless, but now I know better.
Why do they get to attack me without war being declared, but I can't do the same?

Tifi

Postby Tifi » Thu May 01, 2008 5:43 am

A possibility:

Enable the 'Terraforming' building to be built on Toxic worlds.
Have it cost the same as Barren -> Terra just for that one step, and have it change the planet to Barren.

Heh, or maybe not... :P

Return to “Game Modifications”