Changing assault shuttles/plasma beams?

Information, How-to's, and discussion about mod'ing Master of Orion II.
Ohtari
Changing assault shuttles/plasma beams?

Postby Ohtari » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:16 am

Hi, me and friends play Moo2 Ice mod and sometimes try to change some numbers/rules. I tried to decrease the power of Plasma Beams en the number of shuttles (in our current plays these seem to be overused/very powerfull).

I would like to deminish the power of the Plasma but I am not sure what numbers to change in the CFG file. Some tries resulted in crashes.
Also I'd like to half the number of shuttles, but when I change the number "4" to a "2", the shuttles seem bugged and look like missiles. No boarding also then.

I presume I dont understand the tables in the CFG files that well and I am done with just trying/gambling :)

The goal is to make these weapons less powerfull/better balanced. Help would be appreciated!

Also any tips/tricks in the CFG files for some nice 3 people lan battles would be nice.

Darza

Re: Changing assault shuttles/plasma beams?

Postby Darza » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:31 am

You can look up in example.cfg for explanations of most options's syntax. The change of number of fighter crafts per squadron is not supported, but you can change the size of weapon itself, so less groups will fit the ship.

Rocco

Postby Rocco » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:45 pm

The number 4 you refer to is the weapons category.
As you can see in the weapons table, interceptors, assault shuttles, bombers and heavy's all have 4.
By changing it to 2, you make the shuttles part of the torpedoes group, which can lead to non desired behaviours.

Best way is as Darza said to increase the shuttles size/cost which is 30 / 15 in the ice cfg.

You can also consider lowering its speed which is 6 currently (speed_base assault_shuttle = 6;) and/or lowering the hit points (flyer_hit_points assault_shuttle = 6;), which makes it easier for the opponent to shoot them down.

The Plasma Cannon's damage is 7-28 in ice, and its size/cost 25/25. These values can be changed in the weapons table (where assault shuttle also is listed).

Ohtari

Postby Ohtari » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:27 pm

Awesome, thanks for the quick replies and the help. Will be testing you advice this evening.

Will try to do my homework better in understanding the tables more instead of testing them and crashing, haha.

Return to “Game Modifications”