Taking a stab at modding--something useful?

Information, How-to's, and discussion about mod'ing Master of Orion II.
noahclem
Taking a stab at modding--something useful?

Postby noahclem » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:13 pm

Hi guys, it's nice to see some activity going on relatively recently. I've been doing some modding since the release of v1.5 and wonder if it's anything that's of interest or that someone would have ideas on better implementing. I about always play a longer, technology-based strategy, usually in a smallish galaxy so it doesn't get too tedious at the later stages, and so the changes reflect that and are meant to make that game type more interesting. First, all the technologies take around 50% more points. Second, better leaders come faster and are promoted quicker. Third, ship classes are dramatically more powerful with a destroyer roughly equal to the original battleships meaning that the smaller classes aren't quickly made obsolete and that doomstars are a huge investment, only possible after many, many turns on the best planets. Fourth, most recently I've been experimenting with increased distance between the stars, increasing the area of a medium galaxy to that of a huge one. The mods are all lumped into one now and aren't particularly polished but if there are people interested in them I'm happy to upload. Also any tips, ideas, or similar experiences would be great to hear.

Cheers,
Noah

Rocco

Re: Taking a stab at modding--something useful?

Postby Rocco » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:13 am

hey
sounds like you have some tailored mod that suits your own playstyle, as playing against standard AI research is already very costly and Doomstars are never used.
I'd still take a look tho, why not.
upload it already! :)

noahclem

Re: Taking a stab at modding--something useful?

Postby noahclem » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:07 pm

Thanks for the response! You make a good point and I suppose some of my changes may only exacerbate existing problems for many playing styles. I can't even remember the last time I played hotseat and have never played online so I can get away with playing a little different I suppose :D What I'd really like is if things didn't end so quickly but my kind of changes don't do that besides just making technology eras longer.

Anyway, I uploaded the mod to my google drive click Maybe there's something in there that's interesting ;)

Is that ship in your profile something from the game? Really cool looking. Is it possible to mod ship images in the game?

Return to “Game Modifications”