Increasing the Limits (Galaxy Size and Planetary Limits)

Information, How-to's, and discussion about mod'ing Master of Orion II.
smilingbandit
Increasing the Limits (Galaxy Size and Planetary Limits)

Postby smilingbandit » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:00 am

Hi all,

first of all, this is a great forum. Recently stumbled over it when I was looking for some LBX-Unpackers to spice up my MoO2-Experience ;) There are some great Mods there and there are still some things that I somehow can't figure out (I read the Postings about but I'll explain later).

Okay, so here are my Questions:

1. Is it possible to increase the Galaxy Size? In the most recent patch there's a new type (Cluster). I wanted to create a new type (and design) with like .. well lets say about 400 Stars (that it looks like having 8 Galaxies/Star Cluster, 50 Systems each with big black Space between them so that you need good fuel Cells to jump to another "galaxy" and Orion in the Middle of it).

2. I tried increasing the PopCap with the Offsets shown in the forums, but somehow, when I jumo to the Offsets, the values stored there don't make sense to me, so I couldn't really figure out how to manipulate them.

Thanks in advance

bandit

P.S.: I am using the lates dospatch.
Things you don't want to hear from your SysAdmin: "ALL, SAVE YOUR WORK! FAST!!!"

siron

Postby siron » Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:40 am

Welcome!

1. Galaxy size. Nice idea but there is already trouble with the current map mods and I dont know if this can be fixed easily: There is a restriction of 250 planetary objects in MOO2. When you produce more the map is actually displayed but bugs with respect to pop transfer, hw placement etc. occur. (Therefore Goodmap5 mod just works up to medium map, Goodmap4 up to large and only Goodmap3 up to huge. Orange shouldnt be used in huge since there is roughly a 50percent chance it produces too many objects.)

2. Pop Cap is determined by basic gaia size (LB posted addresses) and climate multipliere (can be modified by LBs OCL version). I am not sure if LB posted current 1.4 addresses or 1.31. But easy to find that table with an hex editor.

smilingbandit

Postby smilingbandit » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:08 am

Thanks for the Info. Too Bad You can´t increase the System Number that much.

Regarding the Pop Cap I will try again, thanks ;)
Things you don't want to hear from your SysAdmin: "ALL, SAVE YOUR WORK! FAST!!!"

smilingbandit

Postby smilingbandit » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:47 am

sorry for "bumping" this but I got a question:

I raised the popcap limits. Now The game crashes and I don't know why. DoxBox repots strange memory access into oblivion :/ Is there any known limit for the popcap on planets that makes the game crash?

siron

Postby siron » Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:06 pm

You are prolly the only one who has tried to mod extreme max pop limits. So you are the expert in this area. :P

When did it crash? Already map generation? Or when the planet had actual that pop? And how large was the value?

smilingbandit

Postby smilingbandit » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:39 pm

Hmm well, if I remember right, it crashed when the Population reached 48 of 60 on my Gaia Planet. Strangely one of my Human Workers changed to a Meklar worker when I tried to transfer him. Game crashed when I clicked around with my "Meklar-Human" Worker or went next turn (in other words increasing pop to 49). WHen i lowered the caps then and kept the popmax to 48, nothing happened (Same save game).

So well, this might be the limit. Just thought anyone else had any experience in this.

Time

Postby Time » Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:04 pm

So, if there can be 250 objects, then there can be more systems, with just fewer objects?
Say, if each system has 1-3 planets, then we could have more systems? Is that what I am understanding?

also, I think the pop limit is 44? maybe 46? for each planet.
That assumes Huge, Gaia, Biospheres and Advanced city planning, with the Subterranean race pick.

I guess that is where your error is coming from, stay below that, and you should be ok.
MOO1 Fan, MOO2 Fan, MOO3 needed too many changes = hopeless, getting older waiting for a MOO4 (still).

Joes

Postby Joes » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:16 am

All limits are hardcoded. If you talking about planets, memory for 250 planet structures getting allocated. You can try to patch some of the limits (there's plenty of them in the game scattered around all code), but it would not help, unless more memory allocated for planet structures. However, there's also problem with data type used for planet offset. Some times it is short (16 bit), sometimes - byte (8 bit). You just can't make more then 250 planets...

Return to “Game Modifications”