Warlord Ability Command Points

Information, How-to's, and discussion about mod'ing Master of Orion II.
Rocco
Warlord Ability Command Points

Postby Rocco » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:32 am

1677C0 (DOS) or 167800 (140) allows you to change the # command points per planet for the Warlord ability. Default = 2.

HEX
80 B9 BD 08 00 00 00 74 04 83 45 E8 02

Dukinson

Re: Warlord Ability Command Points

Postby Dukinson » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:11 pm

Hahah... hmm. So what program are you using to change this value? Ocl or something? I'm not really familiar with modding but I sure can think of one thing I want to change.
A cob of corn in every pot, an outpost ship with fuel tanks in every garage, and two command points for every colony!

Rocco

Postby Rocco » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:04 pm

Funny, found this offset before ever using Disassembler.
Just staring at the HEx.

Any way, on my website is a link to a hex editor in 'about'

With hex editor, open the exe and look for address 167800, which reads '01'
If you change it to 2, you have 2 command points from Warlord

80 B9 BD 08 00 00 00 - check if not Warlord
74 04 - if not Warlord jump over next code
83 45 E8 01 - increase command by 1

Dukinson

Postby Dukinson » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:49 pm

I had this thought suddenly. I recalled how you thought Warlord wasn't unbalanced in its initial form, 2 command points. Add in this discovery of how to change it, then shortly after, you do indeed change it. So I have a theory, you didn't change it because it was unbalanced, rather you changed it because you wanted to have a unique change in your mod. Did I guess right? Heheh.
A cob of corn in every pot, an outpost ship with fuel tanks in every garage, and two command points for every colony!

Dukinson

Postby Dukinson » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:26 pm

I should have gotten the hex editor sooner, so far this is easier than I thought it would be. Maybe I'll just change your newest versions and use pickhack to change the race picks so warlord is fair on picks. I'm thinking 6 or 7. At 9 picks or 4 vanilla, most players wouldn't start with it. I should change the ship combat modifiers while I'm at it. No one picks those. Combative picks need care because economic picks are so powerful. Even in Icemod I can't justify them. The only reason I went warlord was the early-mid game acceleration due to ignoring communications research and star base construction. Without 2 command points, it's just tacheon communications with a light sprinkle of ship combat mods, combat picks I wouldn't spend points on by themselves. At 5 picks your warlord is closing in on tempting but I'd rather have it more expensive and distinguished as unique from ship combat picks. That's what removing command points does to warlord, brings it closer to ship modifiers and we already have those. 25/25/12 ship combat mods are nice, but will pale in comparison to the technology you have by the time you achieve such high rank.

Return to “Game Modifications”