Re-mastering MOO2 for Win

Information, How-to's, and discussion about mod'ing Master of Orion II.
siron

Postby siron » Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:35 am

Lord Brazen was even able to improve it without knowledge of the sourcecode.

If you have ideas like battle time etc.....just mention them under suggestions in this forum. Then he has more feedback where he should focus on.

tjr

Postby tjr » Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:25 pm

If you succed at reverse-engineering viable source code, could you please compile for Mac OS X and maybe even get TCP/IP to replace IPX?

(carbon/aqua or fink/X/darwin or libwine or linux/ppc or whatnot, you know that better than me)

Luckz

Postby Luckz » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:41 am

If you succed at reverse-engineering viable source code, could you please compile for Mac OS X and maybe even get TCP/IP to replace IPX?

(carbon/aqua or fink/X/darwin or libwine or linux/ppc or whatnot, you know that better than me)
What is the downside to just running Dosbox and 1.40 under OSX now?

Lord Brazen
Site Admin

Postby Lord Brazen » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:46 pm

What is the downside to just running Dosbox and 1.40 under OSX now?
I beleive it is an issue with the speed of DOSbox on OSX. From what I gathered, others had to configure the CPU emulation on simple because the OSX version of DOSbox does not support dynamic. With simple CPU emulation configured in DOSbox, even on a PC, it performs poorly. It may be playable on a very fast MAC if DOSbox is configured just right.
"Stars are holes in the sky from which the light of the Infinite shine through." - Confucius.

tjr

Postby tjr » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:45 am

Yes, on my system the problem is speed without dynamic emulation, which is only available on x86 ("common PC") architecture.

However, orion2 does play (single player) at reasonable speed inside Q/qemu, and qemu even as an option to connect to qemu on other people's computers. Maybe it would be a lot easier to make qemu and dosbox interconnectible than to port orion, DOS, IPX and all those little necessary things to PowerPC.

But if you do re-engineer it, would you please add hotkeys for common tasks, like accessing the build list from the colony screen (the one where you would enter alt-crunch) or the diplomacy dialogs? Or let you type the first few letters of "automated factore" instead of running mouse miles on the build list screen.

Also, I would love a quick way to assign really long template build lists to planets. Once I get planetary construction and play for score, I usually have to click-edit 4 or 5 consecutive build lists individually for each of ~100 identical planets that are going to build the same stuff.

pavelc7

Re: Re-mastering MOO2 for Win

Postby pavelc7 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:48 pm

old urls:
code.google.com/archive/p/moo2x
and code.google.com/archive/p/moo2x2
new:
https://github.com/pavelc7/moo2x

Now orion95.exe can use TCP/IP

For further modifications
you need install MSVS2010
IDAPro
DirectX SDK with DirectPlay
dxsdk_aug2007.exe DXSDK_Jun10.exe

Goals:
800x600 for map
increase limits for maps, 500 ships, 72 stars
avoid old directplay

Alex

Re: Re-mastering MOO2 for Win

Postby Alex » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:05 am

Hi!

Are you the author of one of the original two projects?

Can you provide built executables/dlls? I'd love to test TCP/IP.

Return to “Game Modifications”