Beginner MoO 2, question about "VDC" Mod

Information, How-to's, and discussion about mod'ing Master of Orion II.
Campi
Beginner MoO 2, question about "VDC" Mod

Postby Campi » Tue May 20, 2014 1:17 am

So i only played the first MoO due to a great letsplay on Youtube. MoO2 always seemed broken for me because of the overpowered creative trait,. So i searched for balance patches/mod and found VDC mod here. So i guess there went some thought into balancing the game but i have 2 question i didnt find an answer going 10 pages deep on the VDC Thread.

There are trais that give -11 point like feudal and uncreative. I cant pick those no matter what combination. Is this intentional or a bug ? If intentional why remove those traits from the game and leave creative that has (in my amateur opinion) bigger impact in gameplay ?

Also is this really the best MoO 2 Experience in SinglePlayer in terms of balance and challenge ? Because i feel like this Mod is made for multi than for singleplayer.

PS: I installed the Gog version.

Darza

Re: Beginner MoO 2, question about "VDC" Mod

Postby Darza » Tue May 20, 2014 2:30 pm

Most likely you messed with crappy GOG .cfg files for dosbox. You need to unpack VDC archive to your moo2 folder (thus destroying the original game files irreversibly, unless you did a backup prior), than start vdcgm3.exe (or other ones, starting with "vdc" for other map generators) instead of orion2.exe.

-11 is maximal negative value there, but to be able to use it - you need to run the game properly.

How could something be ultimately best? Its good and different game, with some great work done about single player game, so its good to try. AI opponents are much more capable there due to playable races at theyr disposal, and "unfair" ships they are able to build. Some people even manage to lose to AI there, i heard.

And no, creative never was overpowered in vanilla moo2, closer to useless instead. VDC creative could be other story.

Also you can join irc in case you get some problems still, in most cases it took few minuts to fix them usually.

Ethan

Postby Ethan » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:10 am

SP is slightly off kilter, but to a degree that is the format's fault - the AI, while serviceable at the time, isn't like the Civ AIs usually are. One of the VDC advantages over base is that critical techs are alone in their field - so the AI can't screw up and miss them... as long as they don't bug out and stay only on their HW, they can be a fairly stiff fight, in particular 1 v 1.

VDC SP really gets tough if you turn on antarians (and use a MP style race that isn't creative - fighter base solves 2-3 frigates alone!) Don't know about the newest version with the weaker antarians, but it took me a lot of work to figure out how to get to, and even more to beat, the Titans. The version where cBase is back to 200 but antarians is particularly hard.

Mind you, I am mostly playing in the hopes of getting time to try my strat in MP, so some stuff can help SP a lot.

My projections show a best run without antarians can "finish" the tech tree somewhere around T170 or so, and I'm not seeing others with similar numbers from MP yet, so either I'm unexpectedly a god of Moo2, or there is something I'm not getting yet. (The latter, I assume - though I did help break A&A, so *maybe*...)

Try to get your copy up and running correctly, then test it all out - well worth trying, though you may eventually "solve" it if you play long enough without upping the difficulty and forcing yourself to get more inventive.

Darza

Postby Darza » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:40 pm

In case you actually bother about MP, you better use a T115 as a benchmark, as its usually the turn of breaking of initial peace time given for development, so you need to be at good peak performance with a fleet there. Wonder where you had seen any "turns to finish the tech tree" to compare though, id take a look at them too (and what is A&A in this context)? Also what the problem to try MP, join the channel and play.

tingling

Postby tingling » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:22 am

I got a dropbox link in chat with all the files all configured properly.. and it worked like magic for me.. VDC mode and all.. hardly broke a sweat to install the game too ..

and I've tried connecting up to a game and it works too

Thanks again for the help guys

Return to “Game Modifications”