It is Time

Information, How-to's, and discussion about mod'ing Master of Orion II.

Can/Will you help?

No. You're crazy.
14%
Yes, I'll help test.
86%
Test? I'll start integrating functions!
No votes

Total votes: 7

RogueMOOer
It is Time

Postby RogueMOOer » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:37 pm

Moo3 was a failure.

Open Orion is after years unintuitive and going the way of Moo3.

No sufficient galaxy turn-based 4x have come along, partly thanks to Moo3.

Therefore it is time... to recreate an open source version of Moo2. We keep it simple and "old school." Think about it. The game is severely aged. The tools exist now a days to "redo it" with much less effort than it took to originally make the game.

A ground-up solution is the only way to make a better AI, or allow scripted events like the newer Civ games, or do the many things that we want to do with Moo2. Maximal use of XML (like civ4) would allow easy balance remakes without programming and well-commented programming would allow easy manipulation of the formulas that the engine uses.

The engine is simple, as is the UI. The AI could easily be tweaked by the community. All the data, graphics, tech tree work and balance is already at our finger tips. All we would need to do is create a simple click-driven engine that draws and interfaces with the libraries correctly and then bug hunt what the community digs up.

No more hard coded limitations. No more DOSboxing. What say you?

Darza

Postby Darza » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:15 am

What i guess you're about 10-th such guy on my memory. Usually they just vanish after one week.
And yes, somehow was unable to find "yawn" option in poll.

Mustard

Re: It is Time

Postby Mustard » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:47 am

Do you have... A working game? Even i've seen atleast two posts like this that have just disapeared after a week and I'm new here...

RogueMOOer

Postby RogueMOOer » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:47 pm

Somehow was unable to find "yawn" option in poll.
There is a reason for this.

And the first page goes back years but there is nothing similar that I see in this subforum. And this is the most logical place...

Geenimetsuri

Postby Geenimetsuri » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:42 am

Well...

It worked with OpenTTD (Transport Tycoon Deluxe).

Although that's probably the only open source project that has ever actually worked out... ;-)

darkestaxe

Postby darkestaxe » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:01 pm

It worked with OpenTTD (Transport Tycoon Deluxe).

Although that's probably the only open source project that has ever actually worked out... ;-)
OpenXcom is done, at least to the point that it clones X-COM 1. I wouldn't be surprised if MOO II is next, but I agree that an order for the project to get off the ground an experienced programmer going to have to bring the community a buildable prototype.

If you want to start Open-MOOII you will need:
* Documentation explicitly laying out your goals. Including a road-map and/or list of features from a programming/development standpont, what languages will be used, moddability standards, what will and won't change from the original, etc.
* A forum for development with sections for things not pertaining to the actual programming and sections for the actual programming.
* A repository that's forkable, and the ability to merge other devs versions when desired.
* A continually up-to-date guide for potential developers to get a working compile-able build.
* The time and energy to keep the project going for several months at least.

Pitfalls:
* Don't think you can require new devs to register with you and join the team before jumping into the code. Let them contact you and join the team when they damn well please, or if they want to push changes to the repository.
* Don't think that you can do it with the people that you first start with. Get a public face out there and attract a little attention - it'll help keep the project alive.
* Don't change the game. Implement the original all the way unless it's bugs or oversights. Include all the original design-flaws until you finish the cloning phase.
* Update your damn site news. If your team is making progress, they need praise from the fans to keep the interest going. The fans are the lifeblood in a way, why make it if nobody else cares.
* Provide test/play-able builds continually. If you go more then a couple months without one people will think the projects dead. Without fans the project will start to feel lonely and die.
* Don't let development stop. If it starts to slow too much, do something to make sure it doesn't grind to a halt. If development halts, interest will go away and the project will die.
* Don't let the naysayers get to you, don't plead your defense. Ignore them or confront them directly, then just tell them that they're wrong and that they're sapping your time and energy. Don't let discussion board drama draw the excitement away from the project by arguing with them and dropping ban-hammers.

Return to “Game Modifications”