Some observations (through OCLplus) + bug discovery/fix

Information, How-to's, and discussion about mod'ing Master of Orion II.
Some observations (through OCLplus) + bug discovery/fix

Postby Newbie » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:54 am

While using OCLplus and other tools to work on a mod (mainly conservative racial pick rebalancing and significant AI performance improvements), I noticed that the OCLplus help file describes two columns of data as being of unknown function. I thought I should share this information, in case it is not generally known already.

Firstly:
In the ship data table, the column after hull space / before armor points describes the number of crew members.

Secondly:
In the technology list / data table, the last column contains a value of either 0 or 1 for each technology. This column toggles whether a technology is researchable when tactical combat is turned OFF.

As for the bug discovery + fix:
In the above mentioned researchability toggle column, I noticed that Warp Interdictor is disabled and Warp Dissipator is enabled when tactical combat is turned off. This is obviously a mistake on the part of Microprose, since WI affects only the galaxy map and WD affects only tactical combat (and ships also do not retreat from non-tactical combats, making the WD technology completely pointless).
This is easily fixed by switching their respective toggles to the opposite number.

(Something that also caused some confusion on my part was that initially, it seemed like OCLplus did not work at all. Eventually I figured out that it just looks for a specific .exe name which happens to be different from the .exe file included in the v1.40 patch - a simple rename solved the issue.)

Return to “Game Modifications”