Some ideas for remaking MOO2

Information, How-to's, and discussion about mod'ing Master of Orion II.
Matthew
Some ideas for remaking MOO2

Postby Matthew » Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:29 am

My background: I am a programmer with experience and also a gamer since childhood. My favorite games are strategy games. My favorite programming language is C++. I can also work with C and Pascal.

I think any remake should try to be as true to the original game as possible but update the graphics, multiplayer functionality and AI.

Essentially, you would treat it like a chess game. You don't change the basic rules of the game but you can create a more appealing user interface and make multiplayer less problematic. You could also improve the AI to make the single player experience more challenging.

The original ship building and combat system would remain much the same. You would just create new artwork for use with higher resolution graphics. You could also give everything better animations. You might also have voices go along with the characters.

With multiplayer, you would make playing over the Internet easy enough to make it the mainstream and make playing over LAN possible too.

I don't think anyone one person could do it all but a team of people should be able to produce a descent remake of a great classic.

Grig de Griz

Postby Grig de Griz » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:54 am

See project "FreeOrion".
Link: http://www.freeorion.org/index.php/Screenshots

siron

Postby siron » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:03 am

Free Orion is surely no remake of Master of Orion II.

IMO the name Free Orion is a bit misleading since the game is very different than the Moo series in general.

Matthew

Postby Matthew » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:54 am

Free Orion is surely no remake of Master of Orion II.

IMO the name Free Orion is a bit misleading since the game is very different than the Moo series in general.
If anyone wants to start a MOO2-XP remake project I'd like to help out.

siron

Postby siron » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:34 am

Time

Postby Time » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:38 pm

"If anyone wants to start a MOO2-XP remake project I'd like to help out."

Heck,
If you are starting from the beginning, you might want to make a Vista 64-bit version. I have been wondering if our old DOS and win95 MOO2 games will work on this upcoming operating system, or the dual core systems. I know 16-bit and lower, games will not work, since they permit only 32- and 64-bit games. :(
MOO1 Fan, MOO2 Fan, MOO3 needed too many changes = hopeless, getting older waiting for a MOO4 (still).

Grig de Griz

Postby Grig de Griz » Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:10 am

Nobody hinders to use "virtual machines". For MoO2 it is enough (even on 128-bit).

Matthew

Postby Matthew » Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:39 pm

"If anyone wants to start a MOO2-XP remake project I'd like to help out."

Heck,
If you are starting from the beginning, you might want to make a Vista 64-bit version. I have been wondering if our old DOS and win95 MOO2 games will work on this upcoming operating system, or the dual core systems. I know 16-bit and lower, games will not work, since they permit only 32- and 64-bit games. :(
It should be able to be recompiled for Windows Vista if it's written in a common programming language that has a Vista Compatible compiler available. C# or C++ would seem like obvious choices. Java or Python would also be ok but a bit slower in execution.

With Swords of the Stars coming in June it might be a waste of time to work on a Moo2 remake except for the experience gained from it. It might prove somewhat successful because you can have features that people like from MOO2 that won't be included in SoTS. Some of the older computers won't handle SoTs so some people will probably stick with MOO2.

Time

Postby Time » Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:30 pm

With Swords of the Stars coming in June it might be a waste of time to work on a Moo2 remake except for the experience gained from it. It might prove somewhat successful because you can have features that people like from MOO2 that won't be included in SoTS.
I wouldn't consider it a waste. You never know, they may not finish it, or like MOO3, do a very bad job, lol. :lol:

Someone has started a JMOO version too (hopefully finish it too).
You might come up with better graphics.
I'm sure we would all like to try all versions of a MOO2. :D
Good Luck.
MOO1 Fan, MOO2 Fan, MOO3 needed too many changes = hopeless, getting older waiting for a MOO4 (still).

Time

Postby Time » Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:53 pm

How's the progress going? :D

Keep us posted.

Melonwheels

Postby Melonwheels » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:46 pm

I think a good addition to the chess game would be multiple square ships, to make them feel bigger. It should always remain 3D though, because 3D chess games suck.

Planets could also take into account available land, and transform your planet into a simcity 1 minigame. Farming takes little population, but alot of land. A commercial population type could be added, which generates more money and increases the efficiency of other operations, but that could take away from the simple gameplay.

Time

Postby Time » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:50 pm

that sounds like Gal Civ II, or www.solarfleet.com

both have squares that you develop with your farms, factories, research labs, economic or morale buildings.

Melonwheels

Postby Melonwheels » Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:22 pm

I hadn't heard of that game. Oh well, I still wish Maxis made a space empire game... I loooooove sim cities. But I figure it'd be a very small niche game.

Zieman

Postby Zieman » Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:15 am

There are a few things I'd loved to see (in retrospect) in MOO2, maybe the came would become MOO2+ with these changes...

- ability to colonize asteroid belts, maybe as a race special
- ability to colonize gas giants, definitely as a race special
- at least 2 additional default races, one for each abilities mentioned above
- much higher limitations to star and planet numbers and RP etc. MAX
(e.g. max 10 planets/orbits per star, 16.7M RP roof etc.)
- xeno techs (like particle beams and death rays etc.) would eventually miniaturize and gain more mods with hyper advanced technology
- ability to design orbitals and ground defences like ships
- ability to design custom buildings, weapons, ship specials etc., within the race's current tech level limitations and such

As examples of custom designs one could make during a game:

Improved robo-miners: prod +15. +2/worker => cost 200. maint. 2, req. servo mechanics & advanced chemistry

X-ray laser: dam. 2-6, mods as regular lasers, cost & space 1.2 x regular lasers, req. avanced fusion & fusion physics

Computer would calculate cost and space based on the desing on which the new tech is based on, and tech levels would determine how you could modify things.

I you wanted to make a mega-laser with dam. rating of 20-40, you could do it, but it might cost A LOT and might not fit even in a BB hull without severe miniaturization...

My 2 cents :)
No skill, no knowledge - but lots of LUCK!!!

ALEX|D

Postby ALEX|D » Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:47 pm

Good points !

I´d like to see random techtree and techs. Means tech shouldn´t be always at the same point in the tree and f.e. autofacs together with battlepods.
And random effect f.e. autofacs give 8pp fix and +2 for each worker, maintenance 2, and cost 80pp ... ! Same with weapsons etc. ... !

More racepicks would be also fine :) !

The random events option we already have, shouldn´t be soo hard, as it now is, in the beginning ... "timesuspension" etc. in the homeworld kills a player in early game ! That´s too hard .. !

In battles I would like to see chance for "critical shots" means doubled or 3x or 5x or 10x damage .. or damage goes to shipengine ... !

Return to “Game Modifications”