MeltingPot Error and broken AI

Information, How-to's, and discussion about mod'ing Master of Orion II.
DocCox
MeltingPot Error and broken AI

Postby DocCox » Fri May 06, 2011 7:02 am

I recently started attempting to do some minor modifications to moo2, I play with one other human and we fill the galaxy up with AI. I admit the game is a lot more interesting now that the AI can actually pose a threat

I found meltingpot (and others) about two days ago, saves me a ton of time trying to get everything modded. I do however have a problem, every time I set a races 'Objective' and reload the file, the objective has changed. Sometimes the change is random, but usually the just becomes the objective directly above the one selected. Has anybody ever experienced this before? Does the AI act as I originally selected?

As for the AI question, one of the modified races shows up with the race statistics in red rather than the normal green. When I attempt to play versus this AI, their population fails to show up in the info screen graphs ,until turn 100. Furthermore, the AI refuses to ever leave its home system or build a second colony until turn 100 has been reached. What is causing the AI to act in this manner, and does anybody know of a solution?

Finally, has anybody found out a way to edit the AI's choices in things like ship design, or a way to force them to terraform their planets? Any way to force them to use colony bases more often and save themselves the production penalty's?

Thank you for any help you guys can offer

icelevistus

Postby icelevistus » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:17 pm

One modified race in a game I played with meltingpot stayed in his home system (indefinitely I think?)

Not sure why, and I'm not sure about random behavior changes either.

Andrei Gijgorev

Postby Andrei Gijgorev » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:21 pm

I had the same problem with the changed objective, which wasn't much of a problem once discovered until I wanted to give a race the Ecologist objective...
The solution/workaround is to manually change offset 0x00000533 of the .rac file with a hex editor after saving. Correct values:
00 = Default
01 = Diplomat
02 = Militarist
03 = Expansionist
04 = Technologist
05 = Industrialist
06 = Ecologist

Be sure not to save with Default as the objective, or the octet will be set to FF instead of 00. This might be what causes some AIs to stay in their system.

Return to “Game Modifications”