Confused when trying to do some basic (I think) modding

Information, How-to's, and discussion about mod'ing Master of Orion II.
Rafi89
Confused when trying to do some basic (I think) modding

Postby Rafi89 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:46 pm

Hello all. It's awesome that this site and the overall support for MoO2 exists. Y'all are awesome.

Anyway, my interest in MoO2 has been revived due to time constraints imposed by the birth of my 2nd child so I'm playing the single player a lot. The AI is... limited so I was looking at how to restrict the possible tech choices so as to, hopefully, force the AI to research and use better techs.

To that end I found oclplus v.0.3 (I'm using DOSBox 0.73 and MoO2 DOS with 1.40b23) and used the command line 'oclplus -e data.txt' command to extract the DATA.txt file. This completed successfully. I then changed the TECHNOLOGIES Tech Field number to '65535' (being sure to not include any extra or fewer spaces) for the techs that I would like to not show up as possible tech choices. I then used the command line 'oclplus -d data.txt' to upload the edited data.txt file. However this does not seem to have achieved the result I was looking for as the tech choices are still listed. I used the -e to extract a new data file and it appears to reflect the changes that I made. So I am stumped. Any suggestions?

Overlord2

Postby Overlord2 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:46 pm

Send me your updated file, I will check it.

Edit: OK, I see your mistake, you have organized your tech tree wrong, some levels miss at least one tech, so game crashes after applying your data file.

Rafi89

Postby Rafi89 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:42 pm

Yep, and I didn't realize that I had copied the patched .exe so my modding was modding an .exe that I wasn't launching, hehe. Thanks for the help.

Return to “Game Modifications”