More challenge for single player

Information, How-to's, and discussion about mod'ing Master of Orion II.
Masterblaster
More challenge for single player

Postby Masterblaster » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:34 pm

For the single player to be challenging better opponents are required. Are there any mods that improve the AI or allows the computer players cheat more?

Most of my games resemble playing sim city because the opponents just sit there and do nothing while I keep building my empire until I have almost all the techs. Then I'll just destroy all of their colonies with stellar converter equipped doom stars.

While the sim city part of the game is fun I would like the game to be more varied.

Overlord2

Postby Overlord2 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:07 pm

Unfortunately no mods improving AI behaviour. Too difficult job to reprogram the AI.

refugee

Postby refugee » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:25 am

I think the vdc mod makes the AI harder to play against.

Not because the AI has been upgraded as such but because the other changes increase the difficulty for the human player.

Like last night I was playing a prewarp game, large map and got attacked by the AI on turn 76.

This seems a lot earlier to me than before and it caught me unawares and was game over time.

I also wonder if the changed tech tree now makes the AI's choices better due to there being no real bad choices.

Gorean

Postby Gorean » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:44 pm

As I understand it, the AI is harder in VDC because the AI gets something like double the race picks that a human may take. Nevertheless, there's really never a chance for the AI to win. It's too dumb, can't build ships properly, and has no real strategic ability. I can't imagine losing to the AI.

Also, there are definitely bad tech picks in VDC. In fact, that's the point of the mod. If you're not smart about when and which techs you take, you'll be completely screwed. Granted, however, the improved tech tree makes it possible to have more good combinations of tech tree choices than previously. Just don't fall asleep while playing. :P
Vita multis dat nimis, satis nulli.

Rafi89

Postby Rafi89 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:28 pm

I actually came here to research this issue. I was thinking about a mod that would trim the tech tree down to only have 1 choice per tech level (and the 1 choice would be a good one) and tweak the AI players to, say, all have subterranean or aquatic and all have uni or democracy, etc.. Trimming the tree to 1 choice per level would be lame for the human player but I think I'd be willing to deal with that if it meant that the AI wasn't researching what I consider bad choices. Giving all the AI players creative is an option but I think it would help the AI more to force it to only USE certain techs.

Anyway, that's my thought. Since the game is fairly, uh, ancient I was kind of thinking that someone else would have had the thought before me so if this has been done before please let me know, hehe.

Zyraen

Postby Zyraen » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:20 am

You can use MeltingPot to give AI illegal Picks, including Creativity to everyone. Its a very good software I think.

Making everyone a "Super" Race with the following traits can be interesting
- all Subterranean / Aquatic / Tolerant with +1/+2 Pop growth
- all Creative & Repulsive

For Pre-warp Games
- everyone Artifact3 Large1 / Rich2 Large1

For Average onwards
- everyone Unified / +1/2 Production

Overall they do become better, that said they're that much more likely to fight each other. The Player going in as the only non-Creative race can be fairly interesting. You could also make them all Non-Repulsive and try to play Politics.

Overlord2

Postby Overlord2 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:32 am

After spending some time on research of AI behaviour, I can state the following: the main problem of AI is wrong priority of tech research/tech path. It researches few base technologies, but after that it starts going very deep into one branch, researching some very expensive techs, and skipping cheap techs from all other branches. This is absolutely wrong from the game point of view and from the view of optimal development. If someone wants to fix the AI for better play, he should address this problem first of all.

Mustard

Postby Mustard » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:11 pm

After spending some time on research of AI behaviour, I can state the following: the main problem of AI is wrong priority of tech research/tech path. It researches few base technologies, but after that it starts going very deep into one branch, researching some very expensive techs, and skipping cheap techs from all other branches. This is absolutely wrong from the game point of view and from the view of optimal development. If someone wants to fix the AI for better play, he should address this problem first of all.
Do you have any information on how to edit the AI? OCL has the ship design tables but other than that I don't know where it is

Overlord2

Postby Overlord2 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:17 pm

No, I will be looking for this information, but no confidence if I succeed.

Return to “Game Modifications”