Faster Space Combat?

Information, How-to's, and discussion about mod'ing Master of Orion II.
batfish55
Faster Space Combat?

Postby batfish55 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:52 pm

I've just recently gotten back into MOO2 after a few years off. Got my girl into it too.

I figured out dosbox, and how to install through it, how to configure it, and get everything running on my LAN (Thanks Lord Brazen!).

But the space combat is SO SLOW on the client machine(s). When I say slow, I mean that on auto- or non-auto, the ships move extremely slow, beams and missles shoot very slow, so much so that even on full auto combat is difficult to sit through for so long.

Has anyone found a way to speed it up? Help!

I'm not even going to bother with playing over the internet unless I can get this running faster. And that sucks.

Astax

Postby Astax » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:22 am

You can use "Z" vs the AI. That's about it. In MP players tend to separate their weapons out which also increases the time, since instead of 1 animation you often have to sit through 8! Of course there is tactical advantage to doing this, so it's hard to disagree with it.

shoelessinsight

Postby shoelessinsight » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:19 am

When you say "Slow," how do you mean it? Is there a delay between actions, or are the animations themselves slower than normal? Or are you just referring to the time it takes for players to make tactical decisions and issue the commands?

Since you're using DOSBox, I think it's safe to rule out that you're playing the Windows version of the game. The lag in that version is horrendous (30-60 second pauses between ship moves :cry: ).

When you're in combat, click on the "Options" button at the bottom of the screen. Check to see if you have "Fast Animations" enabled. If the animations themselves are playing slowly, enabling this option may help.

If the problem is just that combat takes a long time to resolve due to tactical play on the part of the players, then there's not much that can be done other than disabling "Tactical Combat" when you start a new game. But, in my opinion, that takes out half the fun of the game.

Overlord2

Postby Overlord2 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:09 am

I've seen lags with tactical combat on other desktops, but dunno what it is connected with though, I guess some animations problems, however on my PC I see no lags in dos version, it runs very smothly and fast.
On the other hand dosbox fixed those lags...do you observe the same lags in dosbox too?

batfish55

Postby batfish55 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:06 am

Yea...my dumbass figured that out last nite. For some reason, "Fast Animations' wound up unchecked. Thanks for your suggestions tho.

There's still that issue with "WAITING FOR OPPONENT", but there's always going to be some network lag, and this is still WAY faster than the 95 version.

Thanks again,

Cheers

Return to “Game Modifications”