Sourcecode of MOO2 or other Ways to modify the game?!

Information, How-to's, and discussion about mod'ing Master of Orion II.
Time

Postby Time » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:54 pm

Modify the game more, yes.

1. An Extra-Large and Gigantic Maps, More planets for larger games. I've reciently played www.astrowars.com since Dec.05 and saw 800+ players online at once, wow.
I realize there might be some limits due to the map size, but, one could reduce the distance between stars, parsecs and visually, (and the appropiate fuel cell techs), thereby, making room for more stars.
I realize a massively multi-player version is probably out of the scope of what can be done, with the current code, a future product by atari would be nice.

2. Add additional disadvantages, such as the obvious (-2) to food/prod/sci/BC, ship attk./def./GC/Spy, make Lithovore consume prod (at least the same amounts as cybers) and other specials, perhaps seperate Tolerant's benefits. Perhaps (+6) for no pollution and (+4) for treat planets as Terran. Or make it more expensive for multi./kali games to reduce its use.

3. Shorter wormholes, to prevent blitzers from to early of a victory.

4. In single player, let us ask for a tech, and let them(comp) tell us what they would accept for a trade, (much like in civ. 3). I never liked not being able to ask for a specific tech. and maybe they would accept some BCs for the tech?

5. Create a way of protecting outposts, such as Orbital Def Satelites. they would be cheaper to build than starbases, and powerful enough to take out a scout. It could cost 100bc, time would be modified by prod modifiers.

6. A weapon between Neutron Blasters and Death Rays?

7. Make Disr. similar to Grav. just more damaging.

Probably others too.
thanks.
MOO1 Fan, MOO2 Fan, MOO3 needed too many changes = hopeless, getting older waiting for a MOO4 (still).

Psilonian

Postby Psilonian » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:01 am

How about modding the AI to actually use Terraforming or create Artifical Planets? That would make the game a little more difficult.

Right now, once I get Terraforming, the game is pretty much over...it is just a matter of me finishing it.

I usually give the AI players at least +50 pop, +1 Ind, +1 Res, Creative, Charismatic on top of whatever they already have. The game is still too easy because the AI doesn't properly use some basic techs.

siron

Postby siron » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:36 pm

I think the biggest weaknesses of the AI are related to:

a) Pop Growth: It doesnt use 1pop housing effectively and it underestimates the importance of early colony bases.

I think it might be difficult to fix the AI behaviour directly but with some mods like LordBrazens nohousing switch in combination with a map mod which eliminates the multiplanetary systems the current economical AI should do quite well. At least when you improve some racepicks.

b) Ship Design: Thats simply too weak. I hope LB can give us details in the next months. With the current shipdesigns any other fix is imo useless. Also the AI should be prolly more aggressive. IIRC LB told me he figured out to modify this. (At least for Antarans.)

Of course there are further powerful techs which the AI doesnt use effectively (or even at all - phasing cloak f.e.). But these issues are imo no priority.

Zieman

Postby Zieman » Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:12 am

Use a hex editor to edit herodata.lbx - the heroes names are in plain text and their attributes are coded in a pretty simple way in six (have to check this out) bytes, basic values of hex 01, 02, 04, 08, 10, 20, 40 and 80 are used, attribute combinations come by adding hex values together, e.g attributes 01 and 08 together in same byte is shown as 09 (01+08) etc.

If anyone wants, I can post a table showing which byte affects which attributes and some example combinations.
No skill, no knowledge - but lots of LUCK!!!

Jaadre

Postby Jaadre » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:04 pm

So folks,

somewhere I found these words, about Moo2 source code release:

<<At this time we are not in a position to release the source code for MOO1/MOO2. As we get closer to ship, we'll re-evaluate our position and let you know of our specific plans. I have some ideas and specific things in mind that I would like to see for the launch on MOO3, but it's too early right now for me to make any kind of commitment.

Thanks for your patience.
>>

Perhaps these words were from Constantine Hantzopoulos, Senior Producer of Moo3, June 18, 2001.

And what about the present... shall we all ask to ATARI guys to re-evaluate their position about the realease of the Moo2 source code ?

Five years have passed since the shipping of Moo3, and I think that, right now, Moo2 has no commercial value. No more.

Am I wrong?

Anyone else interested to the source code?

[if someone asked to me what I would do if man could manipulate the source code, then that someone could be interested in some ideas of mine I posted here]

Jos

Postby Jos » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:29 pm

Anyone else interested to the source code?
Holy crap, yes. I remember emailing Atari a few years ago pleading for the source code, but of course no reply. I think it's prolly a matter of knowing who to email, as general staff won't care.

What can we do? Does anyone here have experience of getting source code from prof. devs?

Return to “Game Modifications”