MOO III

A place to discuss Master of Orion III
TerminatorII

Postby TerminatorII » Sun May 28, 2006 7:20 pm

You should check the tropical mod for MOOIII that came out. It fixes most problems. I have yet to even advance halfway up the techtree and Ive been playing one game now to turn 400 something. Makes it so you have to design ships! and ships are no longer obsolete before they are built.

Retsia

Postby Retsia » Mon May 29, 2006 9:58 pm

Oh cool...so new mod fixes most of Moo3?

TerminatorII

Postby TerminatorII » Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:33 pm

As far as I have been able to acertain yes.

there is however some small glitches.

some (most actually) new Techs descriptions are in German. If you speak German no problem, I however do not. :D

l3igspeck

Postby l3igspeck » Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:38 pm

Moo3 was a disgrace to the Moo name. They may as well made the game box a diaper and the CD made from toliet paper. At least I would have gotten more use out of it then.

That void that is called a game out of pitty need a steaming hot injection of fun.

In short, WTF were they thinking?

You know there is something wrong when the 10 year old moo2 still sells more than moo3.

TerminatorII

Postby TerminatorII » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:01 am

try downloading and playing tropical.... :D

Time

Postby Time » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:29 pm

It is currently not installed on my newest computer.
I guess I could ask (expecting disapointment):
:arrow: Did they remove the starlanes? or give us that option?
:arrow: Did they make it easier for us to get defenses up quickly when we see ships heading toward our planet? (or are we still fussing with the grant/deficit/unrest mess still? leading to missile base not being completed in time.)
:arrow: Did they add the gravity requirements for each race, during the race pick section! (for example all aquatics will be High-G)?
or :arrow: allow you to change these? (I'd like to make my Low-G Klackons, High-G, for example.)
:arrow: Does it say anywhere, just how much you benefit from choosing empathic?
:arrow: Any chance to negotiate with the New Orions? I rarely found a comp player that would trade technology with me, never from a New Orion. This usually led me to never choose a race heavy on Diplomacy picks (tried it and got squashed).

There were so many faults with this game, I doubt anyone will fix enough to make it diserable to play. Easier to make a new similar game.
Hopefully, there are enough game programmers out there who remember the old games flaws and don't repeat them.

Good Luck Matthew! :D
MOO1 Fan, MOO2 Fan, MOO3 needed too many changes = hopeless, getting older waiting for a MOO4 (still).

shakka

Postby shakka » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:55 pm

when they were developing it i constantly said they were making it too complicated a problem that civilization suffers from

shakka

Postby shakka » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:09 pm

there is a cetrain simplicity with games like moo2 and popoupous tuat make them enjoyable

Time

Postby Time » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:24 pm

I have shown this game to my 60+ year old uncle and my 9 year old niece. Both play it from time to time. So to me, an easy learning curve is important for other generations, than my own, to see what I liked about this game and enjoy it. Believe me, I look up on Lord Brazen's site for current versions to download, everytime I upgrade a computer.
MOO1 Fan, MOO2 Fan, MOO3 needed too many changes = hopeless, getting older waiting for a MOO4 (still).

Time

Postby Time » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:41 pm

And, of course, I was refering to MOO2.
:D

TerminatorII

Postby TerminatorII » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:30 pm

Most of your questions I believe are yes. I saw tropical and all the comments on it and was like ho hum.... then I was like well lets see if it is any good. (I had quit trying to play MOOIII due to numerous issues.) I launched it and was like WOW this fixes all the problems!!!!! I can play MOOIII now!!! :shock: :D :D :D

JosEPh

Postby JosEPh » Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:57 am

Just a brief Update;

MoO3 is still around and still being played.

THE Major problem was; leaving your expectations behind and copeing (sp?) with an extended period of learning the mechanics of gameplay.

I love MoO2 played it hard for 7 years waiting for a MoO2.5. MoO3 was and still is Not MoO2.5. It's as different from 2 as 2 was from 1. Just stating the obvious here.

When you say it *s**ks* what you've really said is, "I have no patience to learn it". "I have no patience to play the same game for extended periods of time."

There were problems and even less support from Atari. BUT those that have dug in have found a game that can be played, enjoyed, and enhanced by modding. Single *games* can last from a few days to several years. Yes that's right there have been *single* documented games that have been played for months and months before reaching a conclusion. Games can finish in 150 turns up to 1200+.

And you can always lose! Especially if you play a standard race without loading up on the bonuses. Or take the restricting *Picks* at game setup. But of course everyone wants to be the Ubber Race! But that's also why ppl get tired of playing any game. *Dumb* down you racepicks take some of the negative or restricted picks and see if you don't get you b*tt handed to you. Regardless of the difficulty level picked.

MoO3 can be macro managed (design intention), but it can also be Micromanaged. That's what I loved about MoO2 and it's still alive in MoO3.

I could go on and on but I won't. MoO3 is not a bust nor a waste of money. It will be or has been to anyone who was not *willing* to learn a complicated game. But it IS and Will be a game enjoyed by many for a long time. No 4X TBS or RTS game put out so far has matched it's depth or complexity, None. And I've bought and played so many of them. But it's the MoO series that I always come back to, All 3 of them. :D

I love MoO2 that's why I registered here. But I Love MoO3 too. Just visit the MoO3 forums and you'll find my username soon enough.

JosEPh (MoO3 Keeper of the "Roll Call") :)

Ps. I also Mod MoO3 and endorse ALL of Bhruic's Patches and Patcher for MoO3.

Nimrod

Postby Nimrod » Sat May 05, 2007 11:26 pm

Moo3, I'll admit, has more downs than ups but IS a playable game. Despite it being unfinished, random, near impossible to finish and completely broken, I was once able to play a fullfilling game from it; even though I was horribly outnumbered and savagely torn apart at the end. But yes I did have fun I'll say that, I managed to make it to turn 900something but that's as far as I've gone. And what's really sad about this is, I had no mods for it, in fact I didn't even have internet at that time.

So now the game turns out to be a complex super-challenger (as the AI is ridiculously strong for no reason at all and apparently has maxed out production on everything) and fails to efficiently deliver what a game is meant to; entertainment. Moo3 is a game that went unfinished and left many innovative ideas broken (3d real time combat and the senate system are good examples of this). If however these Ideas were thought out, refined and implemented correctly back into the game... :idea:

On a personnal note, in moo2 I loved the Doom Star chassis. In moo3 I was very excited to see what they would looked like in a 3d scale compared to the other ships. Anyone who has bothered to play ahead up the tech tree would feel my dissapointment to some degree. Although in moo2 one thing I really didn't like was half the combat map filled with enemy Doom Stars. DSs are flagships, giant avatars of your empire's true might. I've come with a theory on how DSs would be implemented in moo3 that is both innovative and logical.

This and many other ideas have come to mind on revising moo3's properties as a game. This would be too big to be called a mod (although it basically is) moo3 is so badly messed up that no amount of patches will fill all the holes it has. To truly revive moo3 one must go to the bottom and rebuild the game. Is what I want to do, though I have no support at the moment, nor any programmers and, people... just a head full of ideas that could probably turn moo3 into the sequel of moo2 that everyone is waiting for.

Yes, this is a cry for help; anyone who would like to help me re-create the REAL Master of Orion 3 E-mail me or something.

Zaphod

Postby Zaphod » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:47 am

I barely tried this game. It seemed far too complex to begin to learn from scratch, and the space combat was terrible. Ruined the game for me. Then the fact that I couldn't bomb planets without sitting through the terrible space combat? Bah.

MOO2 all the way!

JosEPh

Postby JosEPh » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:01 am

It's still alive.

Soon a New Major Mod will reach release, Pedxing's MuU:BaA. The beta for it Chocolate0.99 is available.

Visit MoO3 forum, Fan Mod subforum, for link on how to get it.

JosEPh :D

Return to “Master of Orion III”